Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Incidental Amorphophallus titanum cutting advice

Posted by Eythan none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 13, 11 at 0:42

My two A. titanum just arrived a couple of weeks ago and the sudden cold is turning them to a quick dormancy. One of them crumpled halfway down the petiole, because the weakened tissue couldn't support the leaf D:
At the point of the fold, the tissue had died a little bit, so there was no living tissue connecting the top half of the leaf to the rest of the petiole and tuber.
The top half was still green, pretty tough and full of 'juice', so I figured it'd be a huge shame to let all those nutrients go to waste.

Let me know if this was the right thing to do:
1- I cleaned the dead tissue off the lower half, and it's now a clean, dry scab.
2- I cut the dead tissue off the top half, exposing the 'juicy' tissue.
3 - I dunked the juicy end into a sachet of rooting hormone (powder).
4 - I put the powdered end back into the coir/sphag mix.

Will this produce a new tuber?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Incidental Amorphophallus titanum cutting advice

You will need to keep cuttings very warm and humid .
Usually the cuttings are sections of the top part of the leaf.

o

The times that I have heard of leaf cuttings successfully producing tubers was with leaf nodes such as the center and where each leaf branches. I have never heard of them rooting from the stem. you may want to see if you have any callusing of the stem now. If not I would take the nodes and dip them in rooting hormones, put them in perlite and keep them very warm and moist.

o

I have sucessfuly rooted a leaf cutting. I used a 6" piece of leaf (back to the node)about 4 weeks after the leaf was completely unfolded, dipped in Rootone, in a closed terrarium, at a constant 84 deg, under 12 hrs flourecent light.

o

great info ..much thanks.. anyone have idea how long from
rooted leaf to a small tuber? or personal experience?
i only just started with amorphs..im sure im hooked..LOL
i have konjacs.. but would like to try with titanum..just
$$$ for tubers are pretty high..especially tubers of any
size..
much thanks to postings here!!!!
looking foward to future postings and progress....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here