Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azngrnthumbs

Zantedeschia x 'Black Star'

azngrnthumbs
17 years ago

These have just started to spathe and the coloration is so dramatic that the leaf edges, not just the flowers, photograph as black!

Does anyone grow the other Callas similar to this one (ie 'Edge of Night', 'Midnight Eclipse', and the "Chocolate" one.

{{gwi:387765}}

Cheers,

Riz

Comments (7)

• anna_lisa
    17 years ago

Yes I have grown the one called black forest there is a picture of it on this froum look for pic cally lily. I like your leaves they are really nice with the black edges I wish I could bye them. Anna lisa

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

Riz, that's a real beauty! Where did you buy it? I would love to get one, too! But will have to wait til next year now.

Susan

• azngrnthumbs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If you couldn't make out the green tag, these are from Brent & Becky's Bulbs.

I was so impressed with the size and quality of these tubers/rhizomes (still debating what they really are cuz they look more like a corm to me!)

Definitely check these out when their summer catalog comes up next year!

Cheers,

Riz

• JohnnieB
    17 years ago

That is one very, very cool plant. Do you have any idea how hardy 'Black Star' is? Two cultivars of Z. aethiopica (although I suspect both are hybrids involving other species), 'Whipped Cream' and 'Giant White', have been hardy in my zone 7a/b garden.

• azngrnthumbs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Johnnieb,

Yeah, this plant doesn't have any Z. aethiopica blood in it and B&B say this plant is for USDA Zones 8-10.

I sort of cheated on these having started them up in the greenhouse at school until they brokw ground and then I moved them out into the garden (still in pots). I plan it to let frost hit 'em and I'll bring them into our unheated garage to winter over and then repeat the same process next year!

R

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

They did a show on Oklahoma Gardening about a lady in Northeast Oklahoma (zone 6b) who grows calla lilies in the ground in her garden - not the aethiopica or anything with aethiopica in its background - all different colors. Now, she said she leaves them in the ground and mulches them well. If you have enough of one kind of bulb you might want to try it and see if it works. I wouldn't risk a single bulb.

I'm leaving all my callas out this year, like Flambe, Cameo, etc. because I bought them at HD at a very low price, so they are easily replaced, haven't invested a lot of money.

Riz - I bought two Alocasia luteas from B&B this spring. I was very impressed with the plants I got. Better than the ears I ordered last year from PD for a much higher price! I will definitely order from them again. I just got their fall catalog.

I should have recognized the tag, but I was so enthralled with the plant, I didn't even see it!

Susan

• JohnnieB
    17 years ago

I neglected to mention that Z. albomaculata has also been hardy for me. This species has white-spotted leaves and I suspect accounts for the spotted leaves, and possibly contributes to the hardiness, of some members of the "aethiopica" group. (Pure Z. aethiopica is supposed to have solid green leaves; both 'Whipped Cream' and 'White Giant' have spotted leaves.)

Sponsored