Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeytnt

Alocasia odora, tuber part above the ground is rotting. Why?

MikeyTnT
9 years ago

Hi everyone,
I have an Alocasia odora ( or so I believe) and for some reason the tuber part that is above ground is rotting (the flesh was all soft and liquid like). I dug up the entire tuber to check the root system and everything was fine below. Why would the rot start at the top? I'm worried that the other tubers in the pot might go the same way. One of them is already showing signs of softness (again on the part of the tuber above ground).

I've cleaned out the rotted flesh from the tuber and left it to dry. Hopefully I'll be able to re plant it.

It's been really hot these days (around 36 C) and dry so I've been giving the plant a good watering every two to three days. The plant is near a window but only gets direct sunlight for about two hours or so in the afternoon. I've checked for any pest that might be borrowing into the plant but I have been unable to find any.

The guy I bought the plant from had it outside throughout the winter. Could this have damaged the tubers some how? Though when I bought it all the tubers seemed fine.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?