Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aroideana

Dracontium nivosum flowering .

aroideana
16 years ago

Its always exciting when you flower a species for the first time . Have 2 spikes emerging on this sp. hopefully will be able to cross pollinate them and get some seed.

Only a small flowering plant compared to some of the monsters in this family , but size is not everything.

Comments (3)

• bluebonsai101
    16 years ago

I hardly ever check in here anymore, but would love to see your latest bloom. It is such a shame that in general Dracontium are just not popular here in the states. Not sure why as I think they are far more interesting than the Amorph cousins, but I am obviously in the minority.

By the way, is a dormancy required on some species to get them to bloom again?? My D. prancei bloomed from the first dormancy when I got it and it has now stayed evergreen for 2 straight years and the tuber has increased dramatically in size, but no additional blooms......I will not force dormancy just to see another bloom as the plant is to pretty for that, but I am curious :o) Dan

• aroideana
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think they are a lot easier to grow and better looking Dan . Will take some pics on Monday of the first nivosum infloresence.
    I found prancei has a very brief dormant period late winter , thats now for us . Most have lost foliage , the odd plant still has an old petiole left . I noticed that the very large almost round tubers flowered , and this took a lot out of the plant as the flower can last a long time . Afterwards the tuber was a lot flatter , almost like a flying saucer . WAs discussing this species witgh a nother grower , I pointed out that it has the offsets attached firmly to the plant , I used to remove them with a scalple [only because they were handy] this differs a lot from the other species I grow in that they have very fine connection to the mother tuber , the tubercles practically fall off , on polyphyllum , pittieri and gigas , as well as nivosum . Hope to get another species soon . Mate has a species growing from seed collected in Peru , it could be a number of spp. the plant is very large it may flower soon . My pollyphyllum x prancei hybrid may flower this year also , fingers crossed.

• bluebonsai101
    16 years ago

I have only unpotted my D. prancei once to move it up and the tubercles did appear to be attached with a lot of tuber so made no attempt at all to remove any. Since polyphyllum is also one of the easy ones this would be a great hybrid for those of us in not so hospitable climates!! Does this cross have the white lined leaves of the polyphyllum parent or the plain green of prancei?

Quite possible the Peruvian native is D. peruviana because I know seed of this species was being dispensed around the world by the person that collected them a few years ago. Mine grew great until the first dormancy and then my climate just proved wrong and I could not wake them up again....a real bummer.

I got a new species this year from Brasil but he had no idea what it was....so far so good with those. They all started to grow almost as soon as I potted them up and have done well for the summer....of course, it is the winter months that often prove too difficult here in the north of the U.S.

My prancei is about to produce a new petiole again. I find that for me this species only produces one at a time. The original one always dies off with the emergence of the new one. Is this true of yours as well?? Different from polyphyllum of course.

Will look forward to the pics :o) Dan

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH