Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicbreezent

Another water aroid in flower

tropicbreezent
10 years ago

This one has actually been flowering prolifically since just before the start of winter, and still going strong. Probably a lot of logic in that. No heavy rain to disrupt pollination. When the seeds ripen the wet season floods disperse them.

It has the well deserved name of Lasia spinosa. There's no rocket science in working out where the "spinosa" comes from. The stems and backs of the leaves are covered in sharp rigid spines. It's a literal pain working around the plant. But it's a beauty.

{{gwi:388093}}

{{gwi:388094}}

{{gwi:388095}}

{{gwi:388096}}

Comments (11)

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    I've heard them referred to as "Unicorn flower" Have always wanted to try those but was put off by the spines lol i once grew some Victoria lily
    with the same problem that and the leaves get 7/8 feet spans Two pads and the pool was full lol Always drew blood when pruning lol
    fantastic looking flower though !! Thanks for showing it!!! gary

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

cool! but what about the leaves? those multi-lobed in the 1st pic - that's the leaves? sort of like a philo?

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Unicorn Flower", that's a very apt name. I'd like to cross one with my Typhonodorum, their spathes are about 60 cms tall, and are quite large and white. Imagine blowing that out taller with a unicorn horn on top and the addition of colour. That'd only be second to titanum in the aroid world.

Yes, the leaves are what shows up in a bit of sun in the centre of the first photo. I like the look of those as well

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

so how large are the leaves? they look like a fern sort of. how many leaves one plant has before it flowers?

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I measured them up tonight:
    Petiole 130 cms
    Leaf blade length 56 cms
    Leaf width (leaflet tip to leaflet tip) 85 cms
    Length of spathe 64 cms

Those were the biggest leaves and spathes. I got it as a small plant and first year it just grew. A year old and there were a couple of spathes. Two years old and several spathes over a long period. This (third) year it's got stacks of spathes and has been flowering since just before start of winter and is still going strong. Can't say how many leaves it had before flowering.

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

that is very impressive. I take it it's submerged in the pond?
    you have a jungle out there, but if it were a single specimen displayed like a papyrus by itself - it would be stunning!
    so I went searching for more pics and found this planted tank. that quite a tank!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=174174
    they also mention Lasimorpha senegalensis - but there aren't so many pics of it.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had a look at those links. Did you see the lists of equipment some of those people have? Their set ups are more like fully fledged laboratories.

Haven't seen the Lasimorpha senegalensis around, the flower reminds me of Gonotopus bovinii, another African aroid that I have.

Here's a photo of my Lasia in its home.

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

you've got 'a tank' without the tank!.. green envy.
    yah, I want to look into those tank set-ups for the future.. when I have more space ;). equipment does not phase me out, I am handy and nowadays you can order a lot online...and automate everything to boot. thanks to forums lots of info to help you in the beginning. I love techy forums besides :).
    just thought you'll get a kick out of those plants shooting out of tanks.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, it's amazing what people can do these days. Where were we before the internet? You had to go to the library and check for books on anything you wanted to find out about. Chances of finding new things was pretty remote compared to today with google.

If I was in a colder climate I probably wouldn't be happy with just a tank. I'd probably set up something like Steve did with Exotic Rainforest. Don't know where the money would come from, but that would be what I'd like.

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

exotic rainforest is pretty cool. donnow how they did it .
    in greenhouse forum you could see how people do pretty large greenhouse set-ups from kits, etc.
    don't your plants get eaten up in summer though? insects in florida are seriously destructive. in many areas people set up wire cages around pools just to be able to be outside, but i'd do it for a garden area/patio.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There's always some damage happening to plants, and not all from insects. Palm fronds falling can do lots of damage. And even smaller pieces of trees pierce folliage of understorey plants.

I don't use insecticides so have a well balanced range of insects and birds. Damage is generally minimal, although grasshoppers give the canna lilies a beating. I get out at night with a torch and manage to get a lot of them.

Also have very high numbers of frogs (and consequently snakes) and plenty of lizards. It all works out well. Well for me that is. Not so much for those that get eaten.

Then of course there's the larger animals. Possums, Bandicoots and Wallabies. They can all be a problem in their own ways.

Occasionally mosquitos get bad but I have strategies to moderate the problem. Marchflies are a nuisance at times. It's just part of the overall picture we live in. It's much the same all year, both summer and winter. Although heavy rain will reduce mosquito numbers and dry season winds (winter) will often blow in the Saltmarsh Mosquitos. I guess with a lot of it you just get used to what you've got.