Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thuddleston446

Just got a new Alocasia Polly

thuddleston446
18 years ago

Hello all... I am very new to plants.. (houseplants mostly) and I just got my first Alocasia Polly .. I really love this plant, it is SO interesting.. but when I google it, Im getting lots of conflicting information about how to best care for it. Could any of you give me some advice?

The only thing that seems consistent is fast draining soil, is it safe to assume the soil it was sold in is fast draining, or not?

What kind of sun exposure does it like? Indirect light, shade?

I appreciate any help!!

Comments (9)

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I've not heard of this one, but I am somewhat new to aroids. What does it look like? Is 'Polly' a nickname, or a cultivar name?

I'm sure you'll get some answers here, but if not, you might try to google it and see what comes up.

Susan

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I saw 'Polly' at the nursery today! Stunning, just like it's parent, Amazonica! How hardy are they?

Susan

• thuddleston446
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Susan.. it is truly stunning!! One of my favorite plants now!
    Ive been reading up on it, but unfortunately, lots of conflicting info... from high sun, to partial shade..
    hopefully it does okay in partial shade, as sun is hard to come by at my house :)
    I'll let you know how it goes..

T Huddle

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Is it hardy in your zone? Or, do you intend to dig it up and winter it indoors? I thought that amazonicus was pretty tropical, unable to withstand a zone 7 winter??

I have wintered over my upright EE and regular EE's. This year, I am going to try to winter over Black Magic, Nigra, fontanesii, Illustris, and a new Thai Giant I purchased from Plant Delights. Most of these that I talk about are hardy at least to zone 7b. If I mulch it really well, I think they will come back next year.

Susan

• cannafreak
    18 years ago

I have killed 2 Alocasia Polly's. Be careful about watering do not water it like a regular EE's. Let it dry out but not completely keep it in part shade. Good Luck.

Tara

• thuddleston446
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I intend to winter it indoors.. not sure how well it will do, but I thought it was worth a shot atleast! :)

• greyandamy
    12 years ago

Hi, this is such a late reply (6 years later). I got one 2 months ago, just divided. Still, all these years later, there's conflicting info on sun, water, etc etc. Mine are in containers in shade (outside for summer) and I hope to successfully overwinter (need high humidity, not waterlogged soil, that's about all I know). How'd you do with yours overwinter?

• alocasia_nanc
    12 years ago

My Alo is doing good in a mix of orchid bark, perlite, and potting mix (heavy on the bark) . i water one a week. maybe 2 hours of indirect sunlight at the most. we got off to a rough start but now she is shooting new leaves.

good luck!

• plantmasterm
    12 years ago

Hi everyone, I can only give you my experience.. first EE are Colocasia(may have spelled incorrectly), the Alocasia is a different genus..I had a horrible time overwintering the alocasia until I put it in front of a east facing door that has an overhang so it doesnt get direct sun, then it wasn't a problem..they don't like central heating..good luck overwintering

Sponsored