Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krstofer_gw

It finally Grew Up.. And other pics..

Krstofer
18 years ago

I posted a bit ago about my A. Kerrii leaping for the sky- It looks like it's finished the vertical charge now.

I had to stabalize the leaf- I'm afraid the wind might knock it over- Wouldn't that suck? (the green thing isn't the stabilizer- it's a tendril from a passion vine I didn't see sneaking into the picture & the kink is just that- a kink.)

{{gwi:388331}}

If you look behind it you can see my biggest A. konjac doing the high-jump.. I wasn't sure if it was going to do anything this year as everyone else put up a leaf a couple months ago.

Here's it's flower (and myself) last winter:

{{gwi:388335}}

And here they are peekin' over the fence- (upper left corner of the pic)

{{gwi:388338}}
That fence is about 6' tall..

And this is everyone.. At least everyone I have in that zone:

{{gwi:388340}}

One of the little kerrii is finally doing something:

{{gwi:388343}}
But the big one in that pot still hasn't moved. I have heard sometimes they "rest" for a bit after blooming.. Guess that's true. Makes me nervous about the thing rotting in there tho so I dig it up about once a week to check..

I even have a brown stemmed konjac:

{{gwi:388345}}

Everything seems to be doing fairly well for the care I give them- Which is nothing. I have them all on a drip system with a "fertilizer siphon mixer" I picked up on ebay so they all get some miracle grow every time. Other than that I leave them alone.

Last year I put some of them in the full sun figuring more light = more growth.. Mistake. It nuked the leaves of most of them & the bulbs hardly grew at all. Of the ones I had in the shade most doubled in size, so that's where they all are this year.

Looks like things are going well & I'm excited about digging up some boulders this coming fall.

Comments (6)

• kwoods
    18 years ago

NICE! The big fella makes mine look positively puny.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Chrys - did you install the drip system yourself? I bought a small one at Home Depot about 2 months ago (50', but that doesn't go very far by the time you wind it through a bed). It only include 5 stakes with nozzles at the top of each one - I guess it's really a sprinkler system, but I think one could poke holes in it and attach the shorter tubing for the drip effect???? I use soaker hoses, but I need to replace one of the hoses, so I've been self-watering (me, myself, and I). I like to do this actually, because then I check out everything that way, for bugs and diseases.

Your plants are astounding! What a gorgeous set up you have there. [sigh] Hope mine look like that one of these days!

Susan

• Krstofer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yeah I did actually. Drip systems & timers are much easier for me- It's tough dragging hoses around in a wheelchair. Plus w/ the drip I can add fertilizer fairly easily. There's a filter you can get (I think rain drip makes it) that goes inline just after the timer. I get that 'jobes tree spikes' type fertilizer, zip them in half on the bandsaw, and every 2 weeks I put 1/2 a tree spike in there. It works great- Every time they're watered they get a little fertilizer.

There's another option I'm trying as well- it's a 'fertilizer injection system' "thingy" that goes inline (in place of the filter)with a hose you drop in a bucket of soluble fertilizer. It sucks up a little bit & mixes it with the water- but I don't know what %.

Drip systems can be a bear to set up, but you only have to do it once a season. I still have to drag a hose around sometimes on hot days or to give that extra bit of h2o, but otherwise watering is pretty much maintence free. Just make sure the batteries don't die when your not looking... That's BAD.

I've got 5 individual lines set up- all on fertilizer & timers, each feeds a different zone. It's great- makes thiings SO easy.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Wonderful! Don't know if I could figure that out. Most everything in my yard is on soaker hoses, but do I use them? Most often not. I love to hand water; it gives me a change to keep a close eye on things. Like worms! Love my worms! My black swallowtails went into pupae this morning! Yeah!

Your picture reminds me so much of my ex-hubbie from the 1970's - yeah, I was a 60's and 70's child. Love that long hair even today.

What is the ratio of the Jobe's tree spikes? Mostly nitrogen? Almost typed "nitro" and thought someone will think I'm talking about blowing up something. The reason I ask is that someone said to use Super Bloom on the alocasias/colocasias, and why is that not so for amorphs?

Susan

• Krstofer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I dunno what the ratio is- But I alternate red & green spikes every 2 weeks or so.

• MacDaddy
    18 years ago

Krstofer,

Those liquid fertilzer injectors don't work unless you have a certain amount of flow going. They work by the venturi effect and if the flow is low (as it would be with a drip system) it will not have enough "suction" on the intake line. Your solid fertilzer idea is much better system for drip system.

Sponsored