Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
struwwelpeter

Gibberellic Acid Spray Causes Aroids to Bloom

struwwelpeter
14 years ago

If you don't believe me, Google "gibberellic aroids" (without quotes).

Does GA cause morphological changes in some aroids? Typically, in other plants, GA causes stem and petiole elongation. In elephant ears, I observe no morphological changes with GA application.

Comments (7)

• exoticrainforest
    14 years ago

Can you post an exact link that says this acid produces an inflorescence in aroids? When you type in two words the search engines look for either word, not both together which id why you get so many false returns.

When you put words in quotes the engines look for both words together in a single article. That is why your search in quotes isn't giving you any returns.

I have a large library of aroid material, much on it in PDF format and I can't find one single mention anywhere of this in any scientific document. You might try to search the International Aroid Society Aroid l format since the members often discuss such topics. Be sure and tick off every single year before doing a search.

Aroids are seasonally specific in the production of their inflorescences which is why I would doubt this world work. The journals of aroid botanist Dr. Thomas B. Croat almost always tell the season when both inflorescences and fruit are produced.

Good luck with your search.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aroid l

• struwwelpeter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"When you type in two words the search engines look for either word, not both together which id why you get so many false returns."

Wrong, Google automatically boolean ands the words. If you want to boolean or the words (as you wrongly deemed automatic), you put "OR" between the words. I am thinking what kind of person doesn't even bother to try to follow instructions based on prior false beliefs?

Third hit from top of Google search:

http://www.fshs.org/Proceedings/Password%20Protected/1995%20Vol.%20108/23-24%20(HENNY).pdf

"I have a large library of aroid material, much on it in PDF format and I can't find one single mention anywhere of this in any scientific document."

Write on the blackboard one thousand times, "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

• exoticrainforest
    14 years ago

Thank you for your correction. I have been a professional researcher and writer for more than 30 years so this info is useful,

If you read any of the posts on Aroid l as I suggested you'll find that several of the world's top aroid botanists are skeptical of the use of this chemical to produce an inflorescence. Of course opinions change.

My goal as a researcher is to produce valuable results that is accurate in science. Not to write things on a blackboard. Good luck with your efforts.

• struwwelpeter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"If you read any of the posts on Aroid l as I suggested you'll find that several of the world's top aroid botanists are skeptical of the use of this chemical to produce an inflorescence."

What posts did you suggest? Before you said, "I can't find one single mention anywhere of this in any scientific document."

"Of course opinions change."

Incredible that you believe opinions are relevant to science! A scientist should ascertain facts by experimentation and not by opinion polls.

Since proper GA application is reputed to be a nearly sufficient condition to cause aroid blooming, only a damn fool would form an opinion without trying it. Heck, I even bloomed an aglonema houseplant with GA as a teenager circa 1962.

"I have been a professional researcher and writer for more than 30 years"

I hope that your livelihood wasn't supplemented with my tax dollars.

• exoticrainforest
    14 years ago

I inquired of several noted aroid experts and received this note. Please note the mention of defective inflorescences in commercial use:

"The acid is used commercially to make all plants in one group all bloom together. This is commonly seen in Zantedeschia, Spaths and Anthuriums sold at K-Mart, Home Depot, etc.. The growers know exactly how to make and apply the mix.

There is an article by Dr. Paul Resslar on the blooming of Caladium humboldtii in a recent Aroideana where he discusses amounts, methods of application,etc. which resulted in him getting it to bloom, but the blooms were deformed. Deformity is also a minor problem in the commercial plants, double spathes, deformed spadices, leaves are side effects, and they know the amounts and exactly HOW to apply this chemical. There has been quite a lot of discussion on aroid-l in the past on this topic, it should be available in the archives."

Aroideana is the journal of the International Aroid Society.

Although the product is commonly used and does work for commercial use it is also not suggested for use by plant collectors by several aroid experts and one large commercial grower in South Florida. Since this forum is primarily for non-commercial growers I see no reason to continue this discussion here. If others wish to continue please feel free.

• struwwelpeter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"not suggested for use by plant collectors by several aroid experts and one large commercial grower in South Florida."

"not suggested for use" is not the same as "suggested not for use".

GA is also not suggested for use by my cat.

• honeybunny442
    14 years ago

I don't know about Aroids but quite a few of the people that grow citrus (by that I mean people that collect and grow several to many types) use Giberellic Acid on their Citrus to help fruit set.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!