Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenphotographer

Pinellia tripartita babies - now what?

gardenphotographer
18 years ago

I'm growing Pinellia tripartita in my zone 5 garden under the shade of several Austrian and Scotch pine trees. The parent plants have successfully over wintered for several years. Last year, I had the plants flower and produce seed. In late summer I played "Johnny Appleseed" and burried the red ripe seeds in the soil near the parent plant. No seed preparation, just burried the fleshy berries and all in the ground.

Apparently the seeds were fertile and they produced a bunch of seedlings. Must be a few hundred of them growing in my garden now.

{{gwi:388438}}

{{gwi:388439}}

So the question is, "now what do I do?"

My first theory is to just leave them in the garden and see if they overwinter. Eventually my goal is to trade some of these plants with my fellow gardeners. Do I just leave them alone until next year and dig them up then?

My second theory is that I should grow some over winter in pots and in my house. That way, if they survive, I would have the plant in the pot already and available for future trades next year. I think I would grow them in 50% medium pine bark and 50% Fafard 52 seedling mix.

Since I'm a first time Dad, I'm not sure what is the best strategy. What's your advice?

Tom

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County