Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hiddenjungle

Amorphophallus konjac

hiddenjungle
15 years ago

Has anyone else had experience growing these? I just received 3 small bulbs and planted them, they range in size from a nickel to quarter. How long will it take to reach flowering maturity? and about how big will the corm reach in size its first year? thanks

Comments (6)

• growerman
    15 years ago

mine was the size of a golf ball when I received it around Christmas time. I planted it a few days before the start of june, and it is now a few feet tall. Flowering takes a few years, maybe its third or fourth year. The leaf is just as cool as the flower though.

• hiddenjungle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Is there anything else i really need to know? this is my first time growing amorphophallus, thanks

• growerman
    15 years ago

I wouldn't water them until root initials come out of the top of the bulb, but given that it is in the summer, they probably already have and then just sat there waiting like mine did to be placed back in the ground.
    It is my first time growing them too.

• hiddenjungle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All right first one has sprouted!!! Its only about 1-2inches tall but still, its one out of the 3 i have. About how long will it take for the small palm like growth to form completely? On the 1-2inch tall plant. Thanks can't wait!

• cheerpeople
    15 years ago

Hi,

I love konjac. The size you have = nickel to a quarter in size will produce a mini version of the adult sized plant. Expect a tree like shape this summer no taller than a foot. I have had them in full sun and no added water other than rain here in zone 5 IL.

This fall the tree shape will get hit by frost and you will dig it up. The bulb will be bigger- golf ball or so size. I leave mine as bare bulbs in the basement ( no dirt- just on a shelf) some folks pot them I don't.

Next year same thing- when it is baseball size- to softball size it will bloom. Check in March as that's when mine sprout the bud.

You'll notice when you dig it up in the fall at this softball size that it has root like structures with pink tips. These are baby bulbs. That is what yours were last year.

I have some cool pics of mine if you want to see.

:) Karen

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/cheerpeople/sequence%20june%2008/june26081.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:388557}}

• hiddenjungle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok, im back, they have been growing great i just wanted to know do they have to go dormant? my plants are still bright green, can i take them in and treat them as a house plant for the winter? they are planted in pots say 8inches in diameter, if i let them go throught the first frost will they be ok. If i have to let them go dormant i just take the bulb and keep it in a cool spot do i let them dry, or do they have to be moist. Thanks

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio