Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grabmebymyhandle

What's going with this amorph! HELP!

grabmebymyhandle
10 years ago

I noticed that this A. Peonifolius had some yellow flecks on the leaf, at first it looked like variegation, some if it still does, but upon today's inspection I notice there's ALOT of yellow spots, all over the leaf!

It looks chlorotic, but not in any pattern that follows veins or traces the leaf edges, in not familiar with what a chlorotic amorph would look like, but I don't think it would look like this...

The tubers been planted a little over a month ago, it's still not all the way filled out as you see in the pic... It's leaflets are still folded up some...

The pic shows the plant in question and another peonifolius of the same ssp.
At first glance they both look the same, fine but the leaflets keep refusing to open up...

Comments (6)

• grabmebymyhandle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The plant in question is the larger one at the bottom if the pic

Here's some close up, sorry if the quality isn't great, I'm using an old iPhone to post...

• grabmebymyhandle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have atleast those 2 specimens of that ssp. it looks like I have 3, although 1 of them is supposed to be a different ssp. it appears that I just have 3 of the same...
    All have been grown under nearly identical conditions, the only diff I can really find is that the 2 healthy ones, and most of my amorphs, are in clay pots, the "sick" one is in a glazed clay pot...
    They all get regular fertilizing, and I have not let them dry out more than an inch down in the soil...
    I'm at a loss as to what could have caused this, but I'm pretty worried, I really don't want to lose this guy...

Any advice what so ever is welcomed!
    I'm pretty green when it comes to amorphs...

• grabmebymyhandle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I finally got a better close up

• johnsonm08
    10 years ago

I can only see the yellow spots in the pic, but when you say variegation it makes me think mosaic virus. You may want to isolate it away from the other aroids till you figure it out.
    Mike

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

The plants do look a bit stressed. I've seen similar looking plants that were in too much sun, not enough water and poor soil. Could possibly also be too much salt build up from not allowing excess fertiliser to be flushed out. That's about all I can think of at the moment.

There's only one species, no accepted subspecies or varieties. There is variation but apparently not enough for the boffins to declare it's a significant difference.

• grabmebymyhandle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies... This may remain a mystery for some time it seems, there's pics of konjac mosaic virus online, and accounts if it spreading to paeonifolius, it doesn't look like this, but maybe it's in an early stage...

I'm having trouble with leaf hoppers, I don't know if isolation is truly possible with these little buggers flying around...

It certainly could be too much sun, I'm out of shade...but highly unlikely to be the other factors mentioned by above, if anything they might need more fert, but the soils so rich I've been taking it easy on em, they did receive their first full strength dose last week, it sure doesn't look like feet burn tho...

I sure hope this isn't the start of something serious...

This post was edited by grabmebymyhandle on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 10:14