Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nightbloomincereus

Amorphophallus thaiensis

Well, it has been a long time since I did much posting anywhere on gardenweb. I have great news, my A. thaiensis is about ready to bloom! This is my first amorph to do so since I began collecting in 2004 and will probably be the only one this year since everyone else is up and growing with a full sized leaf.

I will try and upload photos later on once it fully opens . . . however I can already see the spadix beginning to emerge through the opening in the spathe. The hood is, as you would expect, still mostly closed and is red mottled with light colored dots.

Comments (5)

• ironious
    15 years ago

Is this what you have? Click the link

Here is a link that might be useful: Amorphophallus thaiensis

• nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes. The hood bleached from stem colored to pure white. No odor to speak of from this one that I could tell and the police did not come round to check.

My plant bloomed magnificently and then faded leaving only the stalk and some unpolinated berries which are shrivelling.

Only now is another of my amorphs blooming, A. salmoneus. Sigh, if their timing had been a month closer together who knows what the seedlings might have been.

• growerman
    15 years ago

My plants look happy by the way. The thaiensis has a bunch of leaves that shot up over the summer. The konjac has one big one, with its bottom around 3/4 to 1 inch in diameter. Bigger than a cigar either way.

• bluebonsai101
    15 years ago

Just in case you care.....you can collect the pollen from one plant by tipping the influorescence upside down (assuming it is not potted) and tap it rather hard on the back of the spathe over a piece of paper to collect the pollen once you see it being extruded. Store this in the refrigerator until the next one blooms.....once it begins to smell it is receptive for pollen from a donor.....put the pollen from the fridge back on a piece of paper and gently blow it into the spathe of the hopeful momma....then wait to see if you get berries.....I have done this for other Amorphs just to pollinate from one clone to another of the same species....I then threw the berries away because I had no interest in them other than a nice pic, but the point is you can store the pollen in a fridge for a month and then use it on another plant if you want to see if you can hybridize in the future :o) Dan

• nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The one which is almost ready to bloom, A. asterostigmatus (I goofed on the name above), had not yet sent up a shoot when my thaiensis was doing its thing. I didn't try to save pollen because there were no likely recipients.

If they survive this dry august and my tender ministrations (watering) then maybee I'll be lucky with some of the other ones next year.

Will the pollen from my asterostigmatus keep over winter or is that hopeless?

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions