Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arum_gw

My A. Paeoniifolius Is ALIVE!!!

ARUM
18 years ago

I gave up on this bulb, it was sooooooooo dried out, and I was about to pitch it, but of course I didn't, I planted it among some MG in a huge pot. Well, I thought it was dead, and was about to drive a five ft. stake through it for the MG to grow on, but I thought, "let's just have ONE more looksee. And their it was, a shoot coming right up through the dirt. I must say, I was so surprised!, - and pleased. It LOOKED SO dead! Just wanted to share. :) arum

Comments (8)

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

Had a sorta similar experience myself. Went out to dig it last fall after the leaf collapsed, just to be sure it didn't rot over the winter, and it had already rotted. I mean, slime. Obviously nothing to save. So I mourned awhile and hoped maybe there'd be a little piece down there somewhere that would send up a little replacement. Instead, a couple weeks ago I got two!! Not two little offshoots, but one large and one kinda middle-sized one. Gotta keep watering and feeding them--MAYBE I'll get a bloom next year! Congratulations to both of us! May get this figured out yet!

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I would love to grow this plant, but it's too cold here in OKC to even try. Yes, I'll push the colocasias and alocasias by mulching, but I'm afraid it wouldn't make it in our freakoid winters.

Gorgeous plant, though. I'm *green* with envy.

Susan

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

Susan, you could do as Arum and any number of other people in colder climates do and dig 'em for the winter. The only reason I didn't dig mine--I was afraid it would rot though I understood it would take our not very cold--was that I thought it had already rotted. But as Arum said hers was so dry she thought she'd lost it. Seems like another example of how plants really want to grow if we'll let 'em.

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

Hi Susan,

Yeah, if you put them in pots, albeit big pots for this species, and bring them in when it starts to get chilly and let them grow in front of a window for an extra couple of months before they go dormant you should be fine. Having said that, I do not have a lot of luck with paeoniifolius, but this works very well for my many other species :o) Dan

• FlytrpL8E
    18 years ago

Mine is coming back ,too.
    I bought it last fall at UC Davis plant sale.I wasn't even sure what it was until I came home and researched a bit. it is starting to come back, probably not big enough for a bloom this year.
    Later
    Lois

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Hmmmm. I may have to try that, but where would I put it? My daughter's bed is against the big window in the back room (my plant room overtaken temporarily), her entertainment center is up against the sliding glass doors; the window in my room looks out on to the porch, and if that isn't enough, it is North facing, so no light to speak of. My East facing window is a possibility, oh, but there's a heat vent there. I guess I could shut that off during the winter. Living room windows too dark, and heat vents under them. My granddaughter's room.....well, let's just say, I wouldn't put a dead plant in there. Dining room window looks out to the carport on West side - no light at all. So, looks like it would have to be the East window in my bedroom. Or, I could get a floor lamp and equip it with a flourescent bulb - do you think that would provide enough light? Okay, that sounds like the best idea of all. I'll check out some garage sales this fall for a floor lamp (not one that lights up the ceiling!). I think I will try A. Konjac this next spring, too. What time of year do they normally bloom? The Titanic at the Crystal Bridge greenhouse bloomed in June, but that is not a valid comparison, since it was in the greenhouse, was it?

Got my little Pinellia yesterday, don't recall the name, but it's the tallest of the species. Also got another arisaema, and a zantescantia 'Crow' something or other. This will be a first attempt at callas, but some of the other Oklahoma folks say they grow well for them here. It has been so hot and humid here lately. Around 5:00-7:00 p.m. we have been getting short thunderstorms, which usually break the humidity with the cool air preceding them, but man, it is HOT! 92 degrees with 90% humidity is terrible for us.

You guys are the most helpful, friendliest group I have encountered on these forums, and I also frequent the Butterfly Gardening, bulbs, lilies, Oklahoma Gardening, hibiscus, shade gardening forums. But have yet to meet any folks as encouraging as you are to newbies!

Susan

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

Hi Susan,

I can tell you that last year I moved dozens of mine under a 400W MH bulb in the basement.....and then started spraying about every 2 days for aphids!!! The plants did pretty well and went dormant around Nov/Dec with a few growing until Jan. My titanum and hewitii have been in a south facing window growing happily for the past year to year and a half now....I'm too cowardly to put them outside with our storms and such. Besides, I can control the water very carefully on these guys by keeping them inside.

konjac typically blooms for me in Feb/March and then starts growing around June, although this year I must have 200 of them that are just now breaking dormancy and showing some leaf growth....not sure why.

What sort of Arisaema did you get?? As you may have guessed from my pics in the gallery I really like these guys a bunch :o)

By the way, I think it's your enthusiasm that makes it fun for the rest of us!!!!

Good growing :o) Dan

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Oh, crud - it wasn't an Arisaema that I got, although I did get a new one in the spring. A. nepenthoides, I believe the name is. It had 2 leaves, and did great and then went dormant, which I understand (and it may have been you that told me this) that is normal. I planted a couple of really cheap bulbs from Wayside (no way, no how will I order from them again). They were about 1/2" bulbs and planted them late last year in summer. They both came up with one leaf each, and then they went dormant. Neither returned this year. I'm not sure I'm going to have much luck with these. Maybe Oklahoma is too hot/muggy for them? I don't know anyone else here that grows them, and I haven't seen them at any of the local nurseries either.

I did get the seeds of A. siko....whatever from someone on this forum, and will try to sow and raise them from seed.

I still have another order coming in from another internet web grower, and that may be what I'm thinking of. I need to go back and check my printout. Now, where did I put that? I'll check the website and see what it was; I know I'll recognize it. Maybe my soil is too heavy for them? I used peat moss, compost, and mushroom compost. Probably should have put some bark or perlite in to lighten it up. I will have to check out your pics in the gallery.

Susan