Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clibanarius

Training Epipremnum onto totem

clibanarius
15 years ago

Greetings,

After a year of more-or-less neglect, my freely sprawling garden-variety Epipremnum aureum is starting to get somewhat larger leaves (6-8"). I'd like to train it onto a totem, where the leaves may hopefully get larger still, but the leaves on the basal foot or two of stem are either very small or missing altogether. I see several possible options, but could use some advice as to which makes the most sense:

1. Plant as is (i.e., keep all roots and bare stems). Seems like this could be pretty ugly, unless I perhaps added another couple of cuttings to eventually cover the lower foot.

2. Plant the entire plant, but bury the bare stems (sort of like you do with tomatoes). This species is prone to rot, which would argue against this idea, but on the other hand I'm going to use LECA or turface, which should reduce this risk.

3. Use "supercuttings," i.e., cut off the last couple of feet of vine (i.e., those with the bigger leaves), and root them. Usually one takes very short cuttings, so I don't know if this would work, or what kind of leaves you'd get next (does it start all over with juvenile leaves again?).

4. Take traditional short cuttings and start from scratch, training them up the totem from the beginning. I confess this to be my least appealing option, but I do want the whole thing to work!

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Alan

Sponsored