Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krstofer_gw

Hey! Um.... What are these?

Krstofer
18 years ago

THismorning I was out on the way to check the neighbor's passion flower vine for flowers, and along the way I spotted something strange under a black walnut tree...

{{gwi:388685}}

I have no idea what variety they are- And I susbect it'll be hard to tell without a leaf or even better a flower.. But I figured maybe someone's seen these seed heads before.

They're in CHico Ca, which is zone 8 or so.. INdividual seeds are about the size of a marble. I picked them today, and the seeds are falling off so they must be *quite* ripe.. There were about 40 or 50 seed heads in a 10' X 10' area- in a vacant lot (no water during the summer- it gets very dry here) under (as I said) a black walnut tree.

Kind of strange placement as if I remember correctly walnuts "do something" so other plants can't grow near them.

So.. Anyone have a clue?

THanks-

Oh yeah- Anyone want some of the seeds? Just ask.

Comments (11)

• philofan
    18 years ago

This plant is called Arum maculatum.

I picked up some with my other bulbs this year.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Walnut trees contain a chemical called juglan which is toxic to a lot of plants. There are few, however, that can tolerate or can co-exist with walnut trees. It is in the roots so the soil out to the drip line would be the area to plant material that is not affected by juglan.

Apparently, it doesn't bother arum maculatum!

Susan

• jim_6b
    18 years ago

I have some Arum italicum that have seed heads just like the ones in your picture.

• Krstofer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok so it's either maculatum or italicum.. And seems the only way to be sure is wait for leaves. An interesting plant, either one.

ANyone know the seed to flower time for these?

• klavier
    18 years ago

I would like some seeds. Can never have too many things to winter sow. Very pretty fruits. The seeds are inside the berries. The Jack-in-the Pulpits get similar seed heads, but they do not turn red until later in the season when the foliage dies back.

• arumgrande
    18 years ago

Hi!
    They are hardy, z 5 or 6 or so, and I think they need a cold period to germinate, cold stratification or put the seeds out during winter.
    Good luck!
    herman

• Krstofer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I returned to that spot yesterday with fresh batteries in the camera (they were dead the first time- that kinda sucked..)

{{gwi:388686}}

Took my little garden trowel and looked for some bulbs- They were about 6" deep. I dug about a forth of them & brought them home..

(The "white things" are where the seed heads were attached.)

{{gwi:388687}}

Should make a nice addition to the collection. S'pecially since they like to grow in the winter..

I was really suprised by the number of plants there. These things must either offset like the dickens or this little group has been growing there for quite a while.

• MacDaddy
    18 years ago

Did you ask permission? I used to plant specimen plants here and there on my rural property for others to admire. I would have been upset if someone had raided them.

• Krstofer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Of... The other tree in that vacant lot?
    The grasshoppers thought it was cool, but I did get a little static from a robin.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Did you take them all? Is there an ownership or real estate sign posted? Can you look up the property on your county website and find out who owns it?

Gee, MacDaddy, I never thought about asking permission, but they do suggest we not collect things or purchase things that are removed from native sites anymore, so I guess we should be more conscientious about picking up any old thing.

It looked like it was a small colony of arums, though, so maybe someone did plant them there? Had you see the site last year, Krstofer? Or, it could have been someone driving a truckload down the street, who lost a few plants, who knows?

One thing we do know.....Krstofer, you'll take good care of them.

Susan

• MacDaddy
    18 years ago

Kstofer,

Not to hard to find out who owns property right next to your house. Just ask around. When I collect seed I am sure to spread some around the same area so more comes up. I certainly wouldn't mind a raid if the raider divided the plants, spread them out, and replanted many.

Just because the lot is vacant doesn't mean the person who owns it doesn't appreciate what's growing on it. That's all I'm saying.

No big crime, they are not native, and most likely the owner doesn't care.