Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
i got seeds, what do i do now????

Posted by bihai zone 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 07 at 14:01

I have never, in about 15 years of growing ALocasias, had one actually set seeds.
But I went out to the greenhouse today, and one of the Alocasia gagnea variegated had this kewl seedpod on it (see photo).
What do I do now? Should I plant the seeds now, or do they need to dry out or something?

I have no idea what this plant crossed with. There are several other alocasias in the GH that are always blooming as well as other aroids...Lasia spinosa was in bloom, ALocasia macro albo-variegata, Alo "Stingray", Alo lauterbachii, as well as several anthuriums...will alocasia cross with other aroids??

Please advise what to do with the seeds, I'd like to try to grow them and see what happens.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: i got seeds, what do i do now????

Bahai,

Have a look on the webpage linky for some info that might be helpful. Good Luck and Happy Independence Day to you! :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Araceae Seed Sowing and Germination

o

Thanks sooth! I will plant them today! I got 14 seeds out of the pod!

o

I interest about Foliage Anthurium. Do you have the seed? I look for the seeds of anthurium, like anthurium superbum, anthurium reflexinervum, anthurium radicans, anthurium jenmanii, anthurium luxuriens, anthurium brownii,anthurium oxycarpum, anthurium trinerve. If you have the one, could you please give me about some information. Please give me the detail including the price if FOB Yogyakarta Indonesia.
Requests information as soon as posible.

o

Alocasia gageana is one that is capable of self pollination. You very likely have pure seed. I've grown a bunch of them from seed and always planted them within days of their collection. Just smash the berry and cover it with a small amount of soil. Won't take long to produce a new plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here