Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Store-bought potting mix suggestions?

Posted by libbyliz N. UT, zone 5? (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 24, 06 at 14:35

This past spring I repotted all my aroids in Scotts with something for root growth because the mix I was using before was going dry too fast between waterings. I think it was Schultz.

Well, the Scotts is too.

I need suggestions for store-bought potting mixes that'll keep my syngoniums, monsteras, scindapsus', aglaonemas, anthurium, ZZ & philos happy in the high desert, supposedly alkaline environment.

Would Miracle Gro Moisture Retention be too heavy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Store-bought potting mix suggestions?

I like Naturize brand soil but I don't think they have it that far west yet. Junglemix that I get in Lowes is pretty good stuff.
Randy

o

Look for a potting mix that says 'professional' on the bag.
This is a light mix, and will contain Canadian sphagnum peat moss, usually some composted forest products, a small amount of perlite and/or vermiculite, and a wetting agent. It is not the cheap, heavy dirt-type stuff bagged by the pound. The 'professional' mixes are about as
water-retentive as you can get in a potting mix, being mostly peat moss. Be sure to use plastic pots. You might
consider finding some self-watering pots that have a wick
system in the bottom, these should keep pots constantly moist, I believe. Also, many Aroids will grow quite contentedly in water. Most Philodendrons and Syngoniums will adapt to this readily, and I believe Aglaonemas would be happy with this system too.

Russ
central Fla

o

BTW, the Miracle Gro isn't Moisture Retention, it's Moisture Control. It has peat moss, coir pith, pine bark fines, perlite & a wetting agent, in that order, but no moisture crystals.

~~~~~~

Randy,
I've not seen either of those brands, anywhere in Yootah.
=(

Russ,
I use plastic & glazed ceramic only. Is that okay? I do have just three terra cotta pots, two in use, that I sealed with, I think, a waterproofer. Though I guess the only way to make sure they're really waterproof is to have a ceramic shop glaze them. Since they're really nice pots I may have to clean them up real well & invest in such.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here