Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sfhellwig

Anthurium Cubense info scarce

sfhellwig
15 years ago

I have had this plant for years now and have come to realize they are not the most common. I did actually get the name a few years ago from the Gardenweb forums but never followed up. I recently saw one in the Butterfly Palace in Branson and it renewed my interest in the plant. The information on the internet is limited to say the least. I like the plant and it is getting huge next to one of my bananas. However I feel it is awful stetched out. I'm just looking for info such as propogating, particular fertilizer, should I cut the flower off to induce more leaf production. I have never worried about loosing it, but would like to know more about it while it is with me.

Comments (10)

• bihai
    15 years ago

I have a very large one with leaves between 3-4 feet. It has a nice sized pup that I have up for trade at the present time.

I grow many of my large growing anthuriums (and I have several...don't bother to look at my tradelist though because I am in the process of removing it from GWeb and most of the aroids are already removed) in basic hollowed out treefern bowls that have been filled with a mix of aliflor, orchid bark and potting soil. They like it a lot. Once the roots get down well into the treefern, I set the basket on top of a container of the same mix, except its "cheaper" lava rock, mulch and potting soil. I have a couple huge ones growing this way in 35 gal pots. With that method I can plant small bromeliads and stuff in the soil around the anthurium and make a nice planter.

I fertilize all of my anthuriums weekly during the growing season with water soluble full strength (March 15-Nov 15) and once a month in winter. I also spray the leaves with Chelated Palm Nutritional when I do my palms, every 4 months. I use different fertilizers, I am always experimenting. CUrrently I am using up a big bag of Peters Excel 15-5-15 cal/mag. They seem to like it, but its a special order.

I never cut the flowers off of any of my anthuriums because its fun to get them to make seeds, plant the seeds and get new plants, LOL.

This is a photo of one of my Cubensis (I have more than one). The plant up for trade has leaves already 12-15"+ and is in the same pot with this plant.

{{gwi:388881}}

• sfhellwig
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Excellent information. I guess that answers most questions except the actual propagation. When you say "pup" do you mean an offset from the parent plant. I wasn't sure if they did this (sorry, only anthurium I have). If so I guess mine probably doesn't have room. And as far as seeds is there something I need to do so it will produce them. I have seen several blooms from this plant but must not have realized what the seeds were or didn't get any. Are they apparent or small? Any help on that would be very appreciated.

• bihai
    15 years ago

Yes, sometimes the plant will produce an offset in the same pot. That is what mine did.

I have had several anthuriums of different species set seeds. A couple I can think of off the top of my head are A. vittariifolium, A. gracile, A. hookerii. They get pollinated when the plant is in flower and the inflo gets what look like red, orange or white berries. (Color depends on species). When the seeds are ripe they will drop off (or you can collect them). I have had a lot of seeds just fall on the ground and germinate without me knowing til I go out and find the baby plants all over the place later.

The berry is actually a case for the real seed. Kinda like a pomegranate seed. There are usually 2 very small seeds inside each berry, and you can squeeze them out to dry on paper towels, then plant them.

A lot of people have said you need to wash them, but I have never done that. It doesn't seem to stop them from germinating.

• sfhellwig
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have seen pictures then of the "berries", just never had them on my plant. I have a bloom right now that is about 8" long. It has both clear liquid and the yellow pollen on it. I know I have left one till it dried and started to die, not sure what else I might do to help it along. I know there is plenty of traffic in the form of flies. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

• bihai
    15 years ago

I am not into hybridizing plants at all and don't generally bother with seeds, but I have been told by others that Anthuriums often self pollinate and that if you are growing several different species that bloom at the same time you can get cross pollination from insects. I am not certain flies are good pollinators. I think the errant wasp, butterfly and ant are what pollinate mine sometimes.

• sfhellwig
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Unfortunately mine is only with a few other plants, all of different types. I also only have flies as this is in an office environment. But you have given me plenty to work with. Lots of research to do. Thanks for the answers.

• exoticrainforest
    15 years ago

I believe you will find this information to be accurate since it was provided by by aroid botanist Dr. Thomas B. Croat Ph.D., P.A. Schulze Curator of Botany of the Missouri Botanical Garden. His photo is used with his permission. The majority of photos on the internet are not Anthurium cubense as a result of an incorrect number of lateral leaf veins.

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Anthurium%20cubense%20pc.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Anthurium cubense

• edleigh7
    15 years ago

sfhellwig, if the insects aren't pollinating it you may want to try abrush and "paint" the spadix, I have found personally, that it worked for me.

Ed

• bihai
    15 years ago

Gee I thought we got rid of you

• joclyn
    15 years ago

my goodness!!! that's such a RUDE comment.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!