Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
alocasia calodora blooming

Posted by sandy0225 z5 Indiana (sandy02256@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Jul 4, 07 at 15:26

I'm just thrilled--my two year old alocasia calodora is blooming. Is there anything I need to do to pollinate the blooms, or do they just do that themselves? it has had about four blooms on it so far. Do they just keep on blooming from now on? or do they have a certain season? It's about four feet tall, not too bad for Indiana. This is the one that I grew in the pond last year.
Sincerely
sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: alocasia x calidora blooming

The Alocasia x calidora (correct name) usually blooms in the Spring and sometimes again in the Fall. That is delayed in your case due to your weather requirements.

Alocasia blooms are pollen receptive when first opened, usually in the morning, and the next day, pollen will drop. If you want to try selfing this plant, you need to collect pollen in a small airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator until your next bloom opens. Once it does, you warm up the pollen, gently cut away an opening in the lower (swollen) spathe area, and apply the pollen with a clean artists brush to the pistil heads.

If you are successful, berries will form and ripen in about two months after pollination. Seeds should be planted immediately upon harvesting from the berries and kept moist. Seeds should never be dried out prior to planting; they should go directly from berry to moist planting medium. I soak mine in distilled water overnight before planting to leach out germination inhibitors.

LariAnn
Aroidia Research

o
RE: alocasia calodora blooming

It's blooming again in the greenhouse. I'm keeping temp at a minimum of 50. It's even a bigger bloom than the first time.... What a cool plant!
The first bloom set 5-6 seeds by itself. I planted them and they all came up. I've really had fun with this one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here