Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jedh_2008

Help..First Amorp

jedh_2008
14 years ago

Just purchased and am awaiting an Amorphophallus Titanum seed because my 7-year old is fascinated with it.

I live in West Central Florida and was curious what would be the best method.

In a Pot outside which could be brought in during incliment weather, or in a Terrarium enviroment indoors.

Any advice on soil, fertilization,, and terrarium setup would be GREATLY appreciated.

Jed

Comment (1)

• exoticrainforest
    14 years ago

In the beginning it won't make a lot of difference other than perhaps the speed of growth. A terrarium could speed the germination of the seed. For the first year the plant won't be huge and could live in the humid environment of a terrarium. Once it goes dormant you'll want to take the tuber out of the terrarium and wrap it in damp burlap until it becomes active again. Keep it just slightly damp and store it in a slightly cool place. By the second year the plant will likely make it to 2.5 or 3 feet but after that the growth can be faster with the exception of the times it goes into dormancy. Dormancy can last from a few months to a couple of years! I was recently in the research greenhouses at the Missouri Botanical Garden and fully half of their Amorphophallus titanum specimens were in dormancy but the tallest which is not all that old was over 10 feet tall. They had at least two that had been dormant for a full two years. By the way, the pots were enormous!!! By the time it reaches maturity (roughly 10 years) it will be 25 feet tall and once it produces an inflorescence you will be trying to find it a home since you won't be able to tolerate it in your home. If you try your neighbors will likely call the police since it truly smells like rotting flesh.

If you grow it outside make certain the soil will hold dampness but will not become soggy wet. Add lots of matrial to make the soil very porous. The tuber will rot quickly if allowed to be in soggy soil. In Central Florida the plant won't tolerate your winters outside since it naturally lives in a highly tropical environment.

If you'd like to read some of the advice of the world's best aroid botanists on this species I'd log on to the Aroid l forum archive and do a search by the species' name. Be sure and click all the years since there are many discussions over the past 12 years and you can learn a great deal. Read anything published by Wilbert since he is the top authority on this species (and genus) in the world.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aroid l achieves

Sponsored