Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amorphophallus garden crop

Posted by houstonpat 9a (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 11 at 17:10

I did the exorcist head twist when I drove by a gas station and saw his garden. I went back and talked to the guy. He's from the south tip of India. He grows A. Paeoniifolius for food at his suburban gas station. He has about 75 plants in the ground. He explained how he propagates them, and prepares them to eat.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amorphophallus garden crop

That is very cool.....I've seen these in lots of Indian markets over the years, but always frozen never ready for planting :o) Dan

o

Wow that's amazing.

o

Man that is great!

o

The owner/grower is a cool guy. He's from SW India. He grows beens around the base and bitter melons on the fence.

o

Mind sharing what he said on how he reproduces them?

o

He says he cuts the tubers into quarters making sure to split the growing tip in fourths. He does this in the spring and immediately plants them without any other form of pretreatments such as fungicide or rootone. I have a couple large tubers from this year and will ask him to give me a hands on lesson on how to do it. I'll take photos and post. Meanwhile I will stop by and ask him to call me when he does his harvest this year so I can check out his crop. BTW he sells most his harvest, about 500lbs, for ~$4/lb.

o

Looking forward to the photos and THANKS in advance for posting them!

o

Just about every time I visit the forum I have to stop in and look at your photos! Brings a smile every time.

o

Thanks eclayne. I'm going to try and get photos of his cutting and planting process.

o

Amorphophalus as food in Houston.

o

Fascinating! And it looks really cool. Good for him!

o

wow, these are very decorative plants. are the leaves leathery? is it prone to pests? i'd love to grow them as ornamentals, that is when i get to the south...eventually ;). do they have a common name? what do i ask for?

o

sorry for the above exuberance, i looked them up. voodoo lily - nice ! this will definitely be smth for the future for me. am curious how other people get tubers. ebay? and another q: how do they cook them? what do they taste like?
i proly won't let my bloom...though ;)

o

Is this a tourist attraction? I know someone who is going to Houston in a few months :)

o

"...i proly won't let my bloom...though ;)"

A. paeoniifolius isn't too bad. I have 2 varieties, one doesn't smell, and the other has a weak but noticeable smell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here