Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pandalou_gw

Amorphophallus bulbifer

Pandalou
18 years ago

I am new to this plant. I want to make sure I am doing everything right. The leaves look like they are curling and it has a brown bulb-like growth at the top between the leaves. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Until recently, it has been in my greenhouse and doing well. There is also another growth that looks like it's coming from the same bulb. It has feathery type leaves. I'm trying to figure out how to load a picture.

Thanks

Sharon

Comments (3)

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

Hi Sharon,

Well, the brown wart in the middle is the bulbil and hence the name of the plant....this is how they reproduce. This species rarely if ever produces offsets underground. When the leaf falls over just wait for the bulbil to separate and then you can plant it to have new tubers in the future. The curling of leaves may be lack of humidity....where are you at in CA?? These guys like high humidity and your GH would be a good bet. Did you bring it outside when the leaves started to curl?? The new growth is likely a new petiole and leaf coming up. This is very typical, especially if the tuber you planted was not too big. They will send up a second petiole to dramatically increase the size of the tuber that is underground. They like lots of fertilizer as well (15-30-15), but it sounds like it is doing very well for you. Good luck :o) Dan

• Pandalou
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Dan. I took it out of the greenhouse and brought it indoors when I saw the leaves had curled. After I read your response I put it back in the GH with a plate under it with rocks and some water. That should give it some humidity, I hope it will be enough. I have been giving it a weak bit of fertilizer when I water it. I will get some (15-30-15) tomorrow. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    Thanks again,
    Sharon

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

Hi Sharon, Something else I should have mentioned....Typically when an Amorph tuber is sending up a second petiole the first one will die back....sometimes right away, sometimes just a bit after the new petiole develops so this may be what you are seeing. If it is turning yellow and getting soft, but a new petiole is coming up to replace it then you are fine. Also, make certain that the pot is not sitting in any water.....water at the roots will rot an Amorph in a hurry. This is a pretty hardy species so I'm sure you are fine. Most of my Am. bulbifer are just leafing out now here in PA. Best of luck :o) Dan

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio