Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anthurium coriaceum seed

Posted by plantsplus_qld aust (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 30, 10 at 19:27

I have a plant of what I think is A. coriaceum which has produced seed. Unlike other soft aroid seed which I have been able to grow without problem, this seed is very hard. I have soaked it and cleaned it thoroughly but after 2 weeks there is no sign of germination, and some mould is starting. I have treated the mould.
Is there some other treatment I need to use to initiate germination or special conditions required. It is sown on live sphagnum which has always worked ok before.
Thank you for any advice you can give.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anthurium coriaceum seed

Anthurium seed need to be promptly and thoroughly washed to avoid infection and prolong viability. Otherwise they have a very short life.

There is a great article titled Growing Anthuriums from Seed
by Windy Aubrey found in The International Aroid Society Newsletter, Vol 31 No 1 - March,2009

I would try looking it up by the article title. The article is very thorough.

You should be able to download it from the IAS website. If not, drop me a note and I'll send you a copy.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: The International Aroid Society

o
Anthurium coriaceum seeds

I found the direct link for you.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Anthuriums from Seeds

o
Anthurium coriaceum seed

I just checked the link and since I am a member of the IAS failed to consider that non-members may not be able to download all information. If anyone wants this article I have it in PDF format and will gladly forward it.

Dust drop a note: Steve@ExoticRainforest.com

The pulp of the berry is capable of preventing the seeds from pollinating if not removed. In nature that would be the job of a bird or rain forest animal that has ingested the fruit.

o

Thanks Steve for the link. I am not a member of IAS but can probably access a copy at my library, now that I have the volume, issue number. I have been reading your posts and referring to your excellent and informative site ever since I got more interested in Anthuriums and Philos, which I use as understory planting in my garden. Have had no trouble germinating seed from A. barkeri and various un-named foliage a's but this one is not co operating. I might try an acid wash on some of them. Robyn

o

I would discourage any acid Robyn.

Just use clean water with a drop of soap. I cleaned over 500 seeds from Anthurium pseudospectabile using this method last summer and gave many to growers. Over 400 went to a commercial growers in Florida and almost all are now growing.
If you can't find it at the library let me know. It is now on my desktop.

Steve

o

Thanks Steve, I have just collected some more off the plant, unfortunately the peduncle has been chewed and rotted so a lot probably wont mature - a case of not counting your chickens before they are hatched. I will use the soap and see how I go with this lot. Robyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here