Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

What Did You Do Today?

susanlynne48
18 years ago

I planted my A. 'Nigra', 'Thai Giant', 'Ruffles', Indogofera, two species of aristolochea, Rodgersia, pinellia pedactara (or whatever), watered the back yard heavily, and the front yard some; fertilized the existing aroids with Green Light Super Bloom; top dressed other plants that I want a lot of green growth for my caterpillars with composted chicken manure.

The mix I used for the aroids was 3 parts native soil, 2 parts commercial garden soil, 1 part peat, and 1 part orchid mix (pine bark, charcoal, small stones). Dan, do you think that will work? Please don't tell me I have to dig them up and start over. I worked the bed over with a fork, spade, and pick ax to loosen it up and get rid of tree roots. [Aside: if you have shade, you have tree rots].

Still need to plant the 'Black Magic', 'Illustris', and the other one I bought (don't recall name at moment). They are growing quite well in their 2 gal. containers, so I may just let them continue and bring them in over the winter. Please, can you provide me with some info on overwintering indoors? I don't have any light exposure for them, so should I wash off the dirt, let them dry out, and put them in a shoe box in peat moss?

Susan

Comments (8)

• beachplant
    18 years ago

I planted 3 daylilies, 2 cat whiskers, moved some A. Konjac that are sprouting up to more sun, put in 25 plumeria cuttings, dumped water from everything-it's been raining for 3 or 4 days now, watered all the amorphophallus, repotted a couple of alocasia, pulled weeds, pulled out some huge swamp sunflowers & harvested the seeds, fed the plumeria on the back deck, fed the birds, fed the fish cats &dogs, cooked dinner, took a shower & made it to work on time at 1:00pm.
    Can't help with overwintering indoors, everything stays out here.
    Tally HO!

• randy_e
    18 years ago

I pulled frik'n weeds all day.
    Randy

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

I had a party for a post-doc leaving my lab.....had a couple of beers...some barbecue...and a nice single malt....I gave the plants a day off from my pestering....I think they likely enjoyed it :o) Dan

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL! I know what you mean, Dan. Sometimes I will ignore my plants for 2 or 3 days; then when I go back to tend them, I notice subtle differences have occurred, like new foliage, larger leaves, etc., that I probably would not have noticed had I tended them on a daily basis. What's the old saying, "...a watched pot never boils....". Sometimes I can almost hear them whispering, "thank God....she's giving us a break, sigh...." To that effect, I didn't do anything to my garden last night.

So you work in a lab, huh? Medical or other? Interesting. Are you into tissue culture, too?

Tally, are you getting a bit concerned about Emily? No need to rub in the fact that you can grow year round what the rest of us struggle with. LOL! I must say that growing alocasias/colocasias in the ground here is a bit over the top, but then I'd rather take a risk growing plants that something else far more bizarre and criminal.

Susan

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

Hi Susan,

I'm a bit of a futzer (whatever that meant), so I tend to fiddle around with the plants alot.....I'm not too sure they are impressed, but I like it!! Yeah, I run a lab at the Univ. of Pitt.....lots of tissue culture and mutagenesis, etc., but all mammalian....no plants.....I should try it some day for the fun of it.....as I like to say: How hard can it be? :o) Dan

• beachplant
    18 years ago

Even though they keep saying it's going south, I'm nervous. I bought plywood Saturday, filled up the trucks, scrubbed the tub to fill with water, pulled out the propane stove, life jackets, got the food supply in order... the usual stuff. It's dreadfully early in the year for a storm here. We still have the busiest part of the season to go. So I'm working in the garden to calm my nerves. I'll be out digging most of it up if a big storm heads our way! At least all the amorphs and ee's are in pots, along with a lot of other stuff, I can easily carry them in.
    Tally HO!

• Bwanadick
    18 years ago

I was up at 4:30 AM with the baby. Got to work by 9:00. Took my wife, baby, mother-in-law, sister-in-law and 2 students out for lunch. Now I'm going to head home, help feed the baby, give him his bath and put him to bed. Hopefully by 8:00 PM I'll finally get to go outside and check my plants. I'm off for the next 3 days, so hopefully I'll have the chance to finally dig my banana bed...

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Tally, I do hope the storm doesn't cause too much damage (to life or limb). But do wish we would get some rain out of it. It's a typical dry, hot Oklahoma summer. Very little relief in sight. I love ZZ Top (from your bio); saw them 3 times in concert.

I don't do much during the week, except water, since I work for a law firm full time. This time of year, it's water, water, water, and the bill keeps going up and up and up! Speaking of which, I guess I best go outside and water.....

I'll be thinking safe thoughts for you, Tally!

Susan