Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Remusatis Vivipara (Hitchhiker EE)

susanlynne48
18 years ago

The plant started out very slowly. First put up one rather large leaf (about 1' long and a little less wide), and finally, about a month later, it put up another one, smaller than the first.

I went to check it out the other day, and I am getting 5 new leaves poking out of the ground. Is this a runner (I hope, I hope)? I love the leaves - they have that "I've been polished with Pledge" look to them. Getting a few holes in them - small - but I can't spray because of my caterpillars, butterflies and moths. I am waiting for the Tersas to show up on my Pentas! THese guys are just too cute! Also have black swallowtail eggs in the nursery right now. FInally had to resort to getting cages because the wasps have been eating the cats.

Anyway, just wondered about the Hitchhiker. This is definitely one I'd pick up, though!

SUsan

Comments (5)

• rootdiggernc
    18 years ago

It might be the little stolons which hold the fuzzy bulbils. It's pretty interesting! You can sow them and have lots of new babies. I tried winter sowing them, but they don't sprout until warm weather arrives.

{{gwi:389213}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Remusatis Vivipara

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, the more I looked at them, the more I realized that they are the tubercles that are coming up. Kind of like my hardy begonia grandis which produces bulbils in the leaf axils that self-sow.

I actually bought my plant from Plant Delights, and I love it. Also got Thai Giant and Ruffles from them, too, and have acquired a few more on gardening center expeditions to places that don't realize what they actually have. LOL!

Susan

• MacDaddy
    18 years ago

Cute babies

• rootdiggernc
    18 years ago

Susan, I have the hardy Begonia too, but this EE doesn't seem to sprout as easily from the bulbils left on the plant/ground. I even dropped a lot of the bulbils around the mama and left some of them alone. Not one of them has sprouted, but the ones I planted/potted have done great. I started another pot from last years bulbils and they were up in about 2 weeks.

MacDaddy, Thanks, they have grown gangbusters up until we got some really high temps. I've got some leaf burn, but I think they'll recover OK. I need to move them to a ahsdier spot, but they get more water and attention where I have them right now. They're thristy little things!

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

RD - I'll plant some in pots then. Maybe they can't handle the winter cold?

Thanks,

Susan

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH