Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsmith2579

Propagating Philodendron Selloum

tsmith2579
14 years ago

Our daughter gave my wife a P. selloum about 20 years ago. Well during the winter of 2007-2008 my wife left it on the enclosed sun porch without leaving the window open from the house so it would get heat. It restarted last year with a tiny green sprout from a root. After a year in rehab it has about 8-10 leaves now and is growing. How do I propagate more plants?

Comments (3)

• exoticrainforest
    14 years ago

"Selloum" has been sunk into synonymy under Philodendron bipinnatifidum. Same plant but the name that is considered the correct name was published years before the name Philodendron selloum which makes it the correct name.

The species is a member of Philodendron subgenus Meconostigma and is not always easy to propagate. The subgenus Meconostigma contains all the Philodendron species we commonly call the "tree Philodendrons". You can do cuttings of the stem (which is not the support for any single leaf) at the base of the plant so long as there are nodes and aerial roots present. The easiest way is to simply top the plant above a node and take all the roots with the top cutting. That plant can then be potted and the old stem which is now leafless will eventually produce new leaves.

The stem is the central axis of the plant and provides support. The petioles that support the leaves grow from nodes along the stem. Unfortunately collectors often call the petioles that support the leaves the "stems" which is incorrect.

If you cut enough of the stem then you can divide it and plant the pieces on their sides and they should start new plants.

In time the plant should produce offsets around the base of the stem which can easily be divided and started in a new pot.

Since the plant is commonly produced via tissue culture it is often inexpensive in a nursery or department store. Generally it is faster to just buy another plant but if you are like me it is more fun to grow your own.

The link below may help

Here is a link that might be useful: Philodendron bipinnatifidum

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the reply. I was certain I could cut it off and root the top just like I do alocasias but my wife would have a heart attack if I did. I'll give it another year and maybe re-visit the idea.
    Thanks so much
    Terry

• Kim
    7 years ago

I know this is an ancient thread, but I recently was given a young, rootless offshoot of this species. Any chance it will take? It has one leaf, and one unfolding with a new leaf "spike" in the middle.

Also, what is the best medium for me to plqnt this in?