Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azuredragon

Albino Black Magic?

AzureDragon
18 years ago

I was doing a search on ebay to see if I could find any elephant ear bulbs that I could afford when I ran across one called "Albino Black Magic". It says that when it gets larger, the leaves start showing white.

Is there any truth to this? I've done some searching but I can only find a song on Google. The albino black magic on ebay is up for an incredibly expensive price but I'm not sure if it's real.

If 'albino' is an actual thing that occurs in elephant ears, does it only happen to one bulb? Can it keep happening in new bulbs that come from it?

Comments (7)

• Bryan Lampl
    18 years ago

seems questionable to me. if you are really interested, contact the seller to see a picture of an adult plant. don't forget that 'albinos' are weak strains of plants, so it might only survive so long and then die because it can't produce enough energy to keep itself alive. i must admit, i would be interested myself to see an adult plant.

• etropicals
    18 years ago

I would be very weary of buying something that over priced and not having any info on it.

I sell Alocasia on Ebay and usually find myself laughing at some of the other sellers that offer Alocasia. Just this week I saw Xanthosoma Lime Zinger labeled as Alocasia "Florescent green", not to mention the others I have seen such as Alocasia Odora "persian Palm" or Colocasia Gigantea with a Xanthosoma Sagitifollia pictured, or Alocasia Zebrina when it was actually a Tigrina Superba....and so on.

This one particular seller sells everything from orchids to remote controls, antoher reason to be concerned. Also the plant looks like it comes comercially pre-packaged. I think its a big hoax....just in my opinion.

Eric

• MalBuk
    18 years ago

9 times out of 10 you get ripped off on Ebay, as Eric says there's some dodgy people out there who are only to happy to relieve a mug of his cash, if you haven't heard of it, if you can't find it with a search then it doesn't exist!!

• AzureDragon
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay, thanks for the replies. It sounds too good to be true.

• MacDaddy
    18 years ago

I've seen that EE that gets white in the middle elsewhere. Not ebay. It's Alocasia 'Nancy's Revenge'. Do a search on EE's and see if you can find it. They have a picture here:
    http://home.att.net/~jmbamboo/

I looked at the ebay item you were talking about. It's a con. He shows a standard "Black Magic" EE in it's commercial packing then claims it will turn albino in one year. How does he know that? It's total baloney.

It's like a $5.00 plant and he has it listed as "Buy it now" for $59.99. He's just looking for a sucker.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I know a lot of people who have gotten ripped off on ebay; send their money and get nothing in return, or send in their money and are completely duped by a common plant they already have. I would stick to those reputable companies that are "in the trade", or friends on the forum who are willing to share.

BTW, my Thai Giant is really taking off!

Susan

• AzureDragon
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have yet to buy any from ebay because I've seen lots where people had pictures of Illustris and claimed it was Black Magic - but if the price is extremely cheap including S&H and no one has bid on it - I may be tempted to get it anyways.

I already have Nancy's Revenge. I have some leaves that are starting to get gold down the middle.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21