Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minibot

Housemate chopped top off my largest calla! Help?

minibot
18 years ago

Z. PENTLANDII X HYBRID was chopped off right at the soil line and just finished "flowering". Now I can feel the tuber in the soil and it is next to a smaller one that just put out baby leaves. Will it rot and die or will it possibly just go into dormancy normally? I'm so mad :-( I hope it won't rot before any normal ending to the cycle happens. Is there any chance? Any special care (ie, low watering)? Will the little leaves help support the older tuber until dormancy? Or am I destined to lose the largest tuber? I know you are supposed to let the wither and die naturally. Boo to my clumsy housemate...thank goodness he's moving out!

Thanks for any suggestions or advice!

minibot

Comments (10)

• MacDaddy
    18 years ago

Just being nosy. Don't you mean it was snapped off? Why would it go into dormancy this time of year? I just bought my first calla this year and it's just now got going well. Here's a picture:
    {{gwi:389396}}

• MacDaddy
    18 years ago

Oops, I guess I'm dislexic or something. I read the ls as ns.

• minibot
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Beautiful Canna!! Yes, it was snapped off :-) I guess I'll find out what happens when it happens. I hope that there's nothing I need to do to save it. :-)

minibot

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

It should be ok. But if it broke so far down that the crown of the bulb was injured be very careful about watering it til new growth starts. If water gets into the crown it could rot.

• minibot
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks cactusfreak, I guess I'll just have to treat it like it's already starting into fall and only lightly water it, that's pretty much what I'd assumed, but never experienced. I hope it survives! I only got one bloom out of it this year! At least I already have the divisions of it growing and hopefully next year they'll be big enough to "bloom".

minibot

• josette_sc
    17 years ago

Well, hope yours survives, because I did the same thing when I yanked mine out of the pot it was stuck in, instead of just cutting the pot apart. OOOPS !!...I planted it anyway....even stuck the snapped off leaves into the soil next to it.....Wish us both luck !

• karyn1
    17 years ago

It should be ok. My husband has run over a few of mine with the lawnmower and sheared all the growth off. They started putting out new leaves within a short time. I just hope they get enough energy stored for next year. I have to lift mine in the fall.
    Karyn

• MacDaddy
    17 years ago

I just had deja vu reading the first post. Then I realized someone resurrected it from last year.

• minibot
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here we are a year later! Yeah, my Millenium Gold was fine, and in addition, my callas all bloomed this year! I had at least 17 blooms. Finally, it's paying off having kept a plant from my housemate in like 2000... It keeps dividing and blooming more every year. I guess it's that whole maturity thing. My Millennium Gold bloomed too, one big bloom, but at least I didn't kill it. I'm not the best at babying my plants. I love results with little input, but I'm sure they'd perform better if I actually fed them once in awhile! It survived, and hopefully next year it will put out more growth and more color.

minibot

• orchidguyftl
    17 years ago

Are you growing it inside or outside? Water shouldnt effect it. I grow mine in my pond. it should produce new growth. Mine grows and blooms year round

Sponsored