Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help identify this plant

Posted by rross NSW Aust (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 23:25

Could some kind person tell me if the name of this plant? It's recently come through from my neighbours and they don't know what it is. My guess, after looking on google, is that it's a philodendron panduriforma. Thanks for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help identify this plant

Looks like a Syngonium to me, not a Philodendron.

o

Agreed!

o

Hi
Would have to agree with the others due to the sharp division of the leaves rather than more lobed appearance of panduriforme. Syngoniums come in a gazillion forms and to make it even more complicated leave forms change as they mature as well as change color lol
good luck with it !! syngonium gets my vote as the worlds most obnoxious weed lol gary

o

• Posted by rross NSW Aust (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 5:55

Thanks. How is it an obnoxious weed?

o

Once you've got it you've got it for good. When you try to pull it out bits break off, roots, stems, and they form new plants and they're off again. If you throw the plants away anywhere they take off again. The only effective way to get rid of them is freezing, or burning them.

The previous owner let them take over the place and I had a huge job trying to clear some areas out. Years later there's still plants coming up. Some areas I left to them, so they're right up high in the trees. At the moment it's a stalemate, they're not gaining any ground, and I'm not managing to reduce them any further.

o

Hi
IME it will grow in dirt,sand water ashalt cement,trees ,rain gutters will even push house siding apart and come in the house .Will suffocate anything allowed to climb on and almost impossible to remove .I collect over 3 bushels a week and you don't dare compost them lol They go to the city landfill . I'd call that a "weed" ?? lol gary/

o

• Posted by rross NSW Aust (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 3:50

So now it looks as if I can add syngonium to onion weed and wandering Jew as the stars of my garden. No wonder the previous owners sold up and moved far away!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here