Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silencer_gw

Black Calla Lillies

Silencer
18 years ago

Does anyone know a place to order black calla lilly bulbs? I've seen some sites but they've very expensive. I was wondering if anyone knew any good deals, or at least high quality and good service.

Comments (15)

• Bryan Lampl
    18 years ago

they can be pricy. 10 dollars each is common. there are a lot of bulb suppliers online. do a google search for the plant you are looking for. You should be able to find something that way.

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

I got mine at Pacific Callas early spring. They don't have it listed now. More purple than black.
    Calla Black Magic
    {{gwi:389557}}

• krazyaroider
    18 years ago

I bought black callas that are currently blooming at Walmart during this past spring. They were on sale during April and I was able to sort through the packages and selected two packs with multiple connected tubers and offsets.
    If there is a Walmart near you, check it out next spring and they cost $6.74 plus tax per pack. Each pack has "2" tubers per pack.
    I now have ten plants of varying sizes in a 5 gal black pot.
    KA

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Do they go dormant in summer?

Susan

• anna_lisa
    18 years ago

Hi I have some e mail me at vlorna49@videotron.ca I will E mail you my list anna lisa

• honeybunny442
    18 years ago

Pretty photo but "Black Magic" is a yellow calla with a dark throat, it isn't one of the so- called black callas.

• icebird28
    18 years ago

Hi, I bought mine at waysidegardens during their sale a couple months ago. They weren't too bad on price as it was 50% off. I just recently had it bloom, it was beautiful, a very rich. reddish black, purple wouldn't be the right term. Good luck.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Probably like most so-called black blooms, Hollyhock nigra for instance is a reddish maroon black color. Most black iris are a dark, dark purple. Even colocasia esculenta fontanesii (called the black-stemmed EE), is a dark purplish red).

Icebird - what a deal. I used to be on their e-mail list, but they stopped sending me e-mails. Probably because I made them replace a lilium formosanum and 'White Lace' (which never came up either time BTW). I quit buying from them because I found out I could get better plants elsewhere IMO.

Susan

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

Honeybunny, you are right. When I re-checked the label I had it marked 10 Black Magic and 2 Hot Chocolate all in the same pot. I just assumed the Black Magic was the darker one and didn't bother reading the rest of the labels.
    Also I didn't get them from PC. I got them from Flowerbulbs.com.
    I have wayyy to many plants. I can't keep up with them.
    So the darker calla is 'Hot Chocolate'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black calla Hot Chocolate

• honeybunny442
    18 years ago

hI cactusfreak,
    Yes, that name throws everyone, I think! Bad naming...

• PRO
    Earthly Delights Gardens
    18 years ago

I have a Calla called 'Naomi Campbell' and it is GORGEOUS! I got mine at Park Seed.

• denise57
    16 years ago

I grow Black Callas. They are dark purple to black, about 6" to 10" tall sometimes taller, and a velvet like texture to them. They only grow in the winter to early spring. Email me for a picture if you want one at rockind57@yahoo.com

• honeybunny442
    16 years ago

Denise, why don't you put the picture in the gallery?

• prettyphysicslady
    16 years ago

I just bought one from 'Plant Delights' in NC. It's just a bulb right now, but I've been happy with purchases from them in the past.

• overbilled_sympatico_ca
    15 years ago

I just bought a potted black calla with two blooms at home depot for 14.95 and it is black with a hint of dark dark red and the leaves are trimmed with red.
    Bill 76 years gardening.