Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A. paeoniifolius wants another stalk

Posted by guy_in_bear_suit zone 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 07 at 3:14

Hi, I have a potted A. paeoniifolius that has decided to put out a secondary stalk from the main bulb.
It only has about an inch or so exposed. My question is, should I abort the new stalk and if so, how do I go about it.
I mean, it seems a bit late in the season(late august) to be growing another stalk and this is the first time it has done it.
I'm not sure what I should do.

~A~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A. paeoniifolius wants another stalk

Please.. leave it in the ground. It is still part of the Mother bulb, and the second stalk will just give more energy to making a new bulb when winter comes around.

-M

o

I planted out several small tubers , most under 1" .
They just grew and grew , most had several stems all season . Just dug one up a few weeks ago and it was over 6" . Cant wait to see how they do this season .
This is in true wet tropics , in Feb. I had 2" of rain on average every day . I left a pencil poked in the ground , and it sprouted ;-)

o

It is always best to leave the stalks on. When it gets cold the plant itself will decide to end the growing season by allowing the leaf stalk to wither all by itself. In the process the energy that it took for the stalk to grow will go back into the tuber, making the tuber healthier and stronger for the dormant period.

o

When the leaves start to yellow I drive a stake next to the pot and tie the leaf to it to help support it while it whithers away. I feel it helps the tuber absorb the carbohydrates from the leaf.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here