Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_e_uk

Growing Alocasia Sarian

chris_e_uk
15 years ago

I am now on my second attempt at growing Alocasia Sarian after managing to kill the first one and have found this particular species (hybrid) difficult and fussy even though in heated greenhouse, i have read in several places that the sarian is a hybrid of micholitziana and zebrina but i think it is probably micholitziana and tigrina, the tigrina in it making it so difficult, i also grow about 18-20 other very tender species such as Portei, etc and the sarian has proven to be the one reluctent to grow out of all of them but all the info i can get says 'easy to grow, even as a houseplant' although this has not been the case for me. Can anyone give me advice on the alocasia sarian andwhy i might be having problems with this particular plant.

Many Thanks.

Comments (7)

• bihai
    15 years ago

I gave up on Sarian about 5 years ago. Its hard to grow. It did get about 8 feet tall, but never had more than 2-3 leaves and had a tendency to go dormant at the drop of a hat. I finally decided it was taking up valuable greenhouse space and transplanted it outdoors and it did not survive the winter.

• aroideana
    15 years ago

Can't even get this one to try in Oz ! Looks fantastic .
    Check Ariodia web site , from memory Lariann has done some work with it and the similar Vangiego. Many of the larger growing Alocasias just do not thrive in pot culture .
    A A.portei I planted out 2 years ago as a tiny 10 cm sprouted corm is now 4m tall with a trunk 30 cms dia.

• chris_e_uk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nice to know I'm not the only one having problems with this plant. If it dies a second time I'll think I'll give up on it. Found A. Portei relatively easy to grow in glasshouse considering native to New Guinea.

• jadgee
    15 years ago

A truly majestic plant. My best growing "Sarian" is over 6ft and this time of year (Aug) it's in the conservatory (usually in greenhouse) so I can admire it every day! The most recent leaf opened in last 10 days and is 32 x 18 inches and looks super. I grow Sarian in standard clay pots (10x10 in)and use free draining compost. I water daily this time of year. So guys, don't give up on it. It really is worth the effort. I should add that I lose my fair share of Alocasias and other "tropicals" but Sarian is good to me!

• chris_e_uk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

32x18, sounds like you are doing really well with your sarian, any advice, do you grow mainly in heated greenhouse or as a conservatory plant, how do you find it differs in requirements from say, macrorrhizos

• jadgee
    15 years ago

Sorry for delay in replying I was away over weekend. I grow sarian (and few other tropicals; tree ferns; etc.) in heated greenhouse (around min 16-18C) although no heating at moment. I have had my best sarian in conservatory for couple of weeks just to admire it daily and to watch how quickly new leaves grow. The one I mentioned 32x18 leaf is now releasing the next new leaf but I have had to return the plant to the g/h as I am away for a week from 13th Aug and have to rely on sprinkler system in g/h to keep plants watered and window auto-vent to prevent overheating - probably not a problem with current summer weather! I have not risked any of my 3 sarian plants outside this "summer" but I have several macrorrhizos plants outside for summer as well as my large Philodendron bipinnatifidum (which just fits in g/h for winter) and plumerias. I find macrorrhizos much tougher than sarian (or maybe I have just not risked/tested sarian to its limits yet) and several of my macrorrhizos spend winter in my "cold" g/h (min 5C) although some of leaves disappear. I did lose (rot) a couple of small sarian offsets/plantlets I removed from larger plants but I probably should have let them get bigger first. Once sarian has decent "trunk" and not kept too wet in winter it seems OK for me - I hope I have not put a curse on them now!
    I see you grow many other Alocasia species. What conditions do you use to keep them?

• chris_e_uk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I grow all my Alocasia in heated greenhouse min 20c and put Calidora and Macro' outside in summer but growth is always very slow outside maybe only putting out 1 or 2 leaves all summer. Alocasia Calidora is better for outside than Macro getting bigger and more leaves even in cool summer but Macro does next to nothing.
    The various Alocasia kept in heated greenhouse all year do very well enjoying the constant heat and humidity but the Sarian always rots very quickly even though in very well drained soil, have tried it a few times now but always dies back soon after purchasing, Alo. Portei, Brancifolia, Lowii, Micholitziana etc etc grow very well in greenhouse but would not attempt outside.
    Also have large selection of Anthurium and Philodendron in heated greenhouse none of which would last 5 minutes in cold windy garden.

Sponsored