Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Alocasia, Colocasia and Xanthosoma for dense shade

Posted by chris32599 9b-10a AZ usa (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 13, 06 at 3:41

Interested in knowing what var of these plants, that do well in deep shade. Most colocasia I try in shade don't do well....

So before I try putting others in shade, I am interested in learning from others who have tryed to grow these aroids in deep shade and which var have done well in low light for them.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Alocasia, Colocasia and Xanthosoma for dense shade

Most Colocasia seem to like higher light levels. Some other elephant ear types that grow well here in deep shade include;
Alocasia macrorrhizos
A. 'Calidora'
A. 'Portora'
Xanthosoma sagittifolium

Also, Philodendron bipinnatifidum (Selloum) grows well in deep shade as does Monstera deliciosa.

Eric
Orlando,FL z9b/10a

o
also...

I forgot to also add Alocasia sinuata.

Eric
Orlando,FL z9b/10a

o

Try out Lime Zinger. It should do fine in shade. This is my first year with the plant and I have it in a pot. Shade does not seem to bother it at all.

o

I grow the following EE's in the shade and they do well: Alocasias Sinuata, Cadieri, Portora, Odora, Borneo Giant, Brian Williams, Sarian, Macrorrhiza, Macrorrhiza red stem, New Guinea Gold, Chantrieri, Cuprea, Macro Albo Variegata, Macro Aurea Variegata and New Guinea Gold.
Any of the Xanthosomas including Blue Giant. Colocasia cranberry stem does well for me in the shade.

o

Xan albo marginata does very well in deep shade. If left in the hot sun, the white splotches on the edges simply melt like ice cream.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here