Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm new to plants! - help on calla lillies

Posted by bubbly4me uk (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 6, 05 at 5:42

Hi there
I love calla lillies. I saw some were being sold in a pot in a garden centre few months ago. I was tempted to buy them but because I don't have any experience on plants, I had to let it go.

However, I saw some more yesterday and this time they are in yellow and dark pink and I just couldn't resist them so I bought them.

They are in a plastic pot at the moment. The pots seem to be too small for them. Do I need to move them to a bigger pot? The house is rented and I don't want to plant them in the garden. Is it ok to leave them in pots? Can I have them indoor? or they have to stay outdoor? Do they just keep flowering every year?

The florist had told me that they don't need much care and they should keep flowering every year but I tried to look up some info on the net about them. It seems that they do need a bit of care, I'm confused!!!

Please help! I love the flowers dearly and I would like to take good care of them.

many thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm new to plants! - help on calla lillies

I don't know much about them either, but there has been a lot of discussion on them lately. Did you do a search on this forum? Also, what is your zone, and do you know if they are hardy in your zone?

I assume that since they are a tuber or bulb, that overwatering would be the worst thing, but on the other hand, some of the species like to be marginals/bog plants.
So, I understand how you feel when you say they are confusing. I mostly grow colocasias and alocasias, and a few jack-in-the-pulpits and arums. I saw a gardening show (Oklahoma gardening) a couple of weeks ago, and it didn't appear to me that this lady in Northeastern Oklahoma (zone 6B) had done anything special, other than probably amend the soil with some peat moss, manure, compost, and probably some bark or perlite for good drainage. Hers were blooming beautifully and she said they come back every year in her zone.

Susan

o

I too need help with my calla lillies.I got them for my birthday and I love the way they look and want to keep them alive. And I am completely novice when it comes to plant care... I don't know what to do it one of the blooms dies or anything. I was told by a friend who loves plants and grows all types to cut off the dead plants, is that correct?

o

Hi tomaliko

Since I posted the meassage, I have found quite a bit information about cally lilies from other sources. As far as I know, if the flower dies, yes, cut it. And the leaves are probably going yellow, at this point, it means they are going dormant. When that happens, you need to cut down watering until all the leaves die down, then dig the bulbs out and store them somewhere cool and dry (avoid frosts) then plant it again in spring or leave the bulb in the pot and start watering in early spring then it should grow again.

hope this helps

o

So it is ok to leave in pot all winter in cool garage?

o

Yes, I leave mine in the garage all winter in the pot. As long as it does not freeze. Temp should be 50- 60.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here