Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amorphos in fall.

Posted by Woodnative 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 17, 05 at 8:16

I posted here before with an Amorphophalus question and thank you all for your help.
This is my first year with these guys and I have enjoyed them. My question is what will heppen in the fall. Do they stay green until frost kills the stem, or willthey begin to wither with the decreasing photoperiod?
After the stalk dies, should I dig up the tuber right away for storage? Do I need to let the tuber dry out first?
Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amorphos in fall.

• Posted by KWoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 19, 05 at 11:53

Not sure why no one has answered this. I am far from an expert so all I can tell you is what I do. Konjac is usually pretty well behaved and goes dormant with the onset of cool weather, mine is potted so I dig it out rinse it off and on the shelf in the basement it goes w/ dreams of a stinky March awakening. Some people leave them in the ground year 'round because they are pretty COLD hardy. What they are not is COLD and WET hardy, so keep 'em dry..

Some of my others (asterostigmatus, bulbifer etc.) got an early start and have gone or are going dormant now. Dunno what triggers dormancy but my guess is photoperiod. Some I will leave in the very dry soil in the pot, others I will lift. Dunni, Variabilis and some others were very late coming up and I will probably have to grow them on inside if I want to maximize tuber growth for next year. Some others (I hear titanum) just go dormant when they feel like it or if some physiological temperamental peculiarity or slight change in conditions triggers dormancy.

I guess the short answer is... depends on species and conditions. Hope this helps?

o
RE: Amorphoss in fall.

• Posted by KWoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 29, 05 at 15:35

Maybe someone has some more/better info on this?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here