Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dtpforu

IAS Show

dtpforu
18 years ago

Does anyone know how much the IAS show will be? I've been thinking about going, but the finances aren't quite what they should be this year. Trying to work things out and need to make plans.

Thanks,

Vickie

Comments (49)

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Hey, Vickie, I know it's at the Ramada Inn Dadeland. I just check their room reservations, and they are $69/night for 1 individual/double bed. I am trying to find out other info for you.

Susan

• honeybunny442
    18 years ago

The show is usually free, and the banquet Sat night is $25. (a MUST to be there!) Sometimes there are rooms available at the Kampong for pretty cheap.
    Susan

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Susan (from Susan), is the Kampong another nearby hotel? Forgot to mention that the show is September 17-18 at the Fairchild Botanical Gardens.

Susan

• bigdopeywhiteboy
    18 years ago

Having attended the show/sale for the first time last year, I can heartily recommend attendance for anyone with a passion for aroids. Last years 'hurricane fest' slowed things a bit, and it was still a blast...met lots of great people, and brought home a small....yes...small...ok...NOT small....sampling of great plants....needless to say, my attendance is a certainty again this year. I will be staying at the Ramada Dadeland on Kendall again....hopefully we won't have to contend with the likes of Ivan et al, and this years festivities will be even better

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

BDWB - what did you take with you to transport the plants back to your home?

Susan

• bigdopeywhiteboy
    18 years ago

Last year I flew down with only a carry on bag, and flew back with two 12X12X36 inch boxes full of aroids among foam peanuts as 'carry on luggage'....for free...;-), I also had several good sized boxes shipped by USPS Priority Mail right after the show with good results...this year I'm likely to be driving back with either a truck or a trailer. Should anyone live along the route from Miami across the midwest and upward to Seattle, and want to acquire anything too large or heavy for easy/safe shipping, and not need to be home for a day or two, let me know and maybe a shared 'ride/haul' could work out to mutual benefit....

• dtpforu
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow, thanks everyone for all your responses. I'm thinking about going, but man, that's a lot of money to spend to go and I would rather have more money for plants. LOL Imagine that!

I live in NC, anyone up for a convoy? Actually, that would be a way too long ride for my old bones. I'll have to fly down and mail packages back unless BigDopeyWhiteBoy wants to travel home in the upper part of the country. Hey, yeah, you can drive up 95 to NC, hop on over to where I live on 40, then on home with your bad self, dropping off a bunch of plants on the way. Hahahahahahaha

(hope he has a great sense of humor).

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Well, I think humor is one definition of crazy, and we are all crazy about aroids, right? I would be going, not just for the opportunity to buy plants, but to meet other people with the same interest, and acquire more information about those aroids that I find confusing.

Susan

• philofan
    18 years ago

When you came home, did you have to go through Ag inspection with those carry-on boxes?

• bigdopeywhiteboy
    18 years ago

I inquired of the airline prior to the trip and they informed me that it wasn't necessary from there to here.No delays, no problems.Went well, and all arrived in perfect condition.

• raymikematt
    18 years ago

The kampong was actually owned by the Fairchild family im not sure what exactly it is but you can stay for cheap. Its not a hotel more like a house/lodge with BEAUTIFUL grounds. i only got a chance to visit once but it definately left an impression so definately stay there if you can. BTW, i heard the communal rooms were not AC'd so prepare to sweat.
    michael m.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Not I, said the little red hen. Think I'll stay at the hotel.

Susan

• philofan
    18 years ago

I think this is an affordable excursion so I want to plan to go to this. To confirm, the Ramada is where all the aroiders tend to stay? Do you recommend renting a car to get around?

Also, if I go, I want to spend a few days there ahead of the event, maybe hit some nurseries, gardens and/or attractions. I might want to visit Tropiflora and Cape Canaveral. What do people recommend?

• bigdopeywhiteboy
    18 years ago

I stayed at the Ramada Dadeland on Kendall last year...it's the 'official' hotel for the event usually.The IAS gets a group discount rate there, and it's only about 5 or 10 minutes from Fairchild,so it's an easy hop over and back for the show.Tropiflora is about a 4 hour drive (each way) from Miami. I'm flying into Orlando and driving down to Sarasota on Tuesday to go there.For any aroider who hasn't been to south Florida, my recommendation is simple...if you have some time to look around and visit nurseries etc.....do it....I'm from near Seattle, so things that sell or live only in greenhouses here are flower bed 'weeds' there. The abundance and variety of plants makes some nursery visiting a must....even the nurseries that don't specialize in aroids on any scale often have a treasure or two.

• philofan
    18 years ago

Hmm, maybe I should do that too--start from there and head south. I figure if I go that far, it would be worth an extra day to visit them. I know they have a lot more plants than they ever list. Do you just fly back from Miami then?

For the Ramada, do we just mention IAS for the discount?

I can imagine there where the state is an outdoor greenhouse. Yes, I try to explore all sorts of nurseries--I've found some interesting plants at the local OSH of all places.

Are there other good Florida nurseries worth a visit?

• balberth
    18 years ago

Folks,

Just wanted to let you know that we've finally got the detail pages on the show/sale this year up - just stop by www.aroid.org and start clicking...

- The online auction is up and running this year, with a lot of very neat material already. We'll be updating this as more donations come in.

- Somebody asked about admission. The show is at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, and you'll need to be a garden member or pay admission to the garden to get in.

- Dadeland Ramada is definitely where out of town aroiders hang out during the show. We've not yet negotiated special rates this year, but they've got some reasonable deals on their website.

- The Banquet reservations form is online as well, but will need to be printed and mailed. Get yours in early.

- An issue of the IAS newsletter should be out in early September with basically the same info that's on the website, plus an amorphophallus article.

--Albert

Here is a link that might be useful: International Aroid Society

• philofan
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info, Albert. I hope to make it to the show for the first time.

I am thinking of planning a trip from there over to Europe instead of heading back to SF. Are all the sellers good at shipping plants back for me if I need that option?

• balberth
    18 years ago

Philofan,

Many of the sellers do a fair amount of mailorder business, and I am sure that those would be happy to ship, for the appropriate price. There are a some dealers who are from out of town, or who do just a few shows a year, and I don't know about those cases. In any case, Fedex Kinko's and Mailboxes Etc. are your good friends...

Incidentally, the auction page has been updated as of this morning to reflect some additional donations - and more are on the way.

--Albert

Here is a link that might be useful: International Aroid Society

• philofan
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info. Looks like some interesting plants up for auction.

The photos from the 2003 show are very good. I found one philo in the sale photos that I have been trying to ID. If anyone knows the species, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: What is this philo species?

• bigdopeywhiteboy
    18 years ago

I've been wondering about that same plant ever since seeing that photo 2 years ago.....it was actually one of the reasons I attended last year for the first time....and wouldn't you know it...didn't see a single one last year.....ID would be great...and anyone who has any for sale..well, that might involve begging,pleading, arm twisting, bribery, coercion, or any other such techniques as might prove useful in wresting a specimen from it's owners grasp......

• enigo
    18 years ago

Andrew,
    You don't have that one yet? For shame.
    That's Philodendron Melinonii. We'll have to take care of that this year when you come down. I might know a guy who knows a guy......
    Enid

• bigdopeywhiteboy
    18 years ago

One has to have a certain degree of admiration for "a woman who knows a guy who knows a guy"......6 degrees of separation might connect me to anyone on Earth...or perhaps only to Kevin Bacon,but I cannot imagine letting any such degrees keep a choice aroid in residence at a home other than my own...it is with resolve,determination, and what Susan Orlean once termed 'benign derangement' that I will be venturing forth next month........

• bigdopeywhiteboy
    18 years ago

Just wondered if any of our Miami area members have been to,or have spoken to anyone from, Fairchild Botanic Garden, the site of the IAS show? I know Dade County still has a lot of power outages...the server for the Gardens website has been down, and is still down today...just hoping things are not too bad there....

• balberth
    18 years ago

Looks like their website is back up and they are generally okay.

From the website:
    Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden weathered Hurricane Katrina with minor damage.
    "ItÂs messy in the garden, but not catastrophic," said Mike Maunder, Director.
    Fairchild will reopen on Wednesday, August 31, 2005, at 9:30 a.m.

On the other hand, it looks like the power company isn't _promising_ electricity to that area until ... Friday the 2nd. At least that's what the map they publish says.

--Albert

• bigdopeywhiteboy
    18 years ago

thanks for the update Albert....glad to hear that they've made it through without too much damage....I've seen some photos from the area and it looked like flooding was the worst part.....a couple of weeks of Florida sunshine should help with that...in the event that it requires more than that, anyone in need of assistance with 'storm mess' should let me know, and I'll try to help when I'm there....

• planty01976
    18 years ago

I want to be a vendor there but, I heard that they take 40% of your earnings, is that true?

• balberth
    18 years ago

planty01976,
    That is not correct. If you're interested in selling at the show, you will probably want to contact Tricia Frank ( http://www.aroid.org/aroiders/tricia_frank.html ), who coordinates these things and can give you specific details.
    --Albert

• bigdopeywhiteboy
    18 years ago

The show/sale is a week out and no one is posting on it?...hmmm.....where y'all hiding?.....I'm in final prep stages for a redeye flight Monday night....Miami here I come!!!......any anthurium fans in the audience best find a way to get there....the mountains of Ecuador will be sourcing a whole LOT of fabulous foliage......I've already scheduled an organ donation to fund acquisitions.....;-)

• philofan
    18 years ago

I just booked my flight--red eye on Thursday. Sarasota Friday for a nursery stop, maybe Selby, and then down to Miami for the show. Looks like Ecuagenera will bring some nice plants. I'm looking forward to my first IAS show and brief visit to Florida.

• lariann
    18 years ago

In case anyone wants to talk with me about aroids, hybrids, or etc., I plan to be at the IAS show on Saturday the 17th from around 9 AM to 12. I'll be mingling around and hoping to find something I can use in my breeding, and I should have my son with me.

LariAnn

Here is a link that might be useful: Aroidia Research

• bigdopeywhiteboy
    18 years ago

Having vast experience as a mingler, I imagine I'll see you there....winging it redeye style tonight to Orlando, then a minor road trip meander to Sarasota for a long overdue visit with the fine folks at Tropiflora, then on to Miami Wednesday morning....bringing your son may qualify as unfair advantage taken, as his youth and speed may prove decisive in getting to choice specimens ahead of those of us of more....ummm...mature....vintage....

• philofan
    18 years ago

I'm looking forward to meeting other aroiders. (You'll recognize me as the tall guy).

When I mention to people I'm going to an aroid show, I get blank stares, so now I just say to the less botanically inclined that I am going on a business trip.

-Tom

• lariann
    18 years ago

Yes, my son is an accomplished aroid hawk, having spotted tiny pups (escapees) growing in heavy lawn when I'd walked by them numerous times. Having him with me will enable me to cover the place more than twice as fast, as he almost always runs rather than walks. Once I put him on the scent, all you'll see is a blur and the plant I want will be in my hands.

I, too, look forward to meeting some of the folks whose posts I've read here.

LariAnn

• honeybunny442
    18 years ago

BDWB and Philofan, you are in for a lot of driving!
    I can't make it this year but have a fun and safe trip, everyone!
    Susan

• philofan
    18 years ago

Yeah, lots of flying and lots of driving. I recently drove down to LA, so this will be a shorter trip for me.

I'll have a full report upon my return.

• agavekid
    18 years ago

I'm Going !!!!! taking the red eye out of SF tonite look for me at the show both days .i'll have on a yellow Van Morrison ball cap on & i'm staying at the Ramada also ..plan on going to help set up on Friday Mike Mahan

• asj2004
    18 years ago

For those interested, a running scrapbook of my Miami trip for the IAS Show and Sale

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of IAS Show and Sale Trip

• raymikematt
    18 years ago

Well I didnt load my car down with plants this year but I did get a few goodies Ive been wanting for a while. The show and sale was wonderful, Im already getting ready for next year!
    Michael M.

• honeybunny442
    18 years ago

So what goodies did everybody get? Will we be seeing some on ebay soon?
    MM, did you find some bug spray this year? LOL
    susan

• raymikematt
    18 years ago

Susan, alot of people were asking where you were. Oh yes...this boy brought a big bottle of OFF this year. I got a few nice things but not much. Just didnt have the funds to be bringing back loads of expensive plants. Enid had some nice Cyrtosperma species, so i got a C. ferox. Bobby Mcgee had some wonderful Taccarum species. So I got a nice large one of those. Homes had his usual display of cool Amorphs and Typhoniums, so I got a few each of those. A nice large unidentified Rhodospatha species from Ecuagenera, A shingling Rhaphidophora species (probably R. hayii), and a few other VERY cool goodies from a personal collection and thats it. Cant wait till next year!!
    Michael M.

• bigdopeywhiteboy
    18 years ago

Just pumping in a coffee IV this morning....after getting hit by the first couple of bands of nasty Miss Rita late Monday night, I beat feet out of Miami in the wee dark hours Tuesday and drove up I-95 to Orlando...dodging tornadoes and water spouts betwixt Miami and Lake Okeechobee....got drenched in another rain band....and then finally got out in Orlando...got in late evening and took a wee nap....have a very very very small, inconsequential really...box or three...of lovely green things to unpack and introduce to some new shoes.....had a great trip...a day at Tropiflora and Selby Gardens in Sarasota...then a jaunt across Alligator Alley to Dade County.....had a great time....won't overburden with a lengthy single post, but suffice it to say, those in attendance will likely be regaling all with tales of 'plant Heaven' for some time...and I did manage to take about 500 pics....posting of some to follow.....

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Oh, please BigDopey - overburden us! Tell us about the lovelies you picked up at the IAS, at least. Inquiring minds wanna know.

Susan

• philofan
    18 years ago

It was a bountiful acquisition for me. I brought home a case and shipped a second huge box full of aroids home, although that was hairy, because all the shipping places were closed the day of my departure. I managed to find a boarded up Office Depot still open where I could ship off the greens. We were one of the few flights to get out of MIA that day--the airport looked pretty empty, not many planes to be seen (see photo).

At the show, I bought several of Ecuagenera's anthuriums. A few anthurium regale from Paul Hammock. Some nice species from the members table, and a few more from Brian Williams. As the rain was pouring on me, I shook a lot of soil off Monday evening. One of the hurricane clean-up workers came and asked me for my soil, which I gladly gave him, along with a few extra cuttings.

I also got my share at Tropiflora, gravitating toward the terrestrial bromeliads.

Not many planes here...
    {{gwi:390083}}

• philofan
    18 years ago

A couple from the show. I'll be posting up a gallery of my trip.

{{gwi:390085}}

{{gwi:390086}}

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Are any of you in any of these pics? Sometimes its fun to know who you are "conversing" with on these forums.

Susan

• honeybunny442
    18 years ago

Thanks for the photos...
    MM, nice to be missed, and I would have been arm-wrestling you for some of those plants, although they don't grow well here. I was too broke to go, especially since I have no self control when it comes to the show and sale!

I recommend everyone here become a member of the IAS- we need members to keep a great association going strong!

• philofan
    18 years ago

Yeah. Here is one...take the challenge, can you name that plant?

{{gwi:390087}}

• lariann
    18 years ago

Anthurium faustino-mirandae (I'm using it in my current hybridization program; can't wait to see the seedlings of my cross between this plant and A. clarinervum).

LariAnn

Here is a link that might be useful: Giant Heartleaf Anthurium

• philofan
    18 years ago

Today I finally got my big box of aroids from the show. I shipped them to myself thinking I could save on the cost of bringing back an extra piece of luggage (I already had my second one full of aroids). I shipped it ground. Bad idea! Unfortunately it ended up taking 15 days! There was a one week delay between the bill scan and the entry scan from Office Depot to UPS. A missing week in time and neither company will acount for it. To my joy, aside from a fishy smelling box and a few mushed leaves, ALL the plants made it. While I would never ship plants by ground to another person, or paying customer, if anything this is a testament to how hardy philos and aroids are. Some of the plants even grew new shoots enroute! Ok, next year I'll approach shipping differently (On account of Rita, I didn't have many options this time).

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath