Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
re-potting a peace lily

Posted by jwarndt z6 OH (sculptomania@hotmail.com) on
Tue, Aug 9, 05 at 9:54

Hello,
I hope this is the right forum for my question.
My spathiphyllum floribundum has outgrown the plastic
pot it came in when I got it a litle over 2 years ago,
and I decided it was time to re-pot it.
So I bought a big clay pot and a couple bags of
potting soil for flowering plants and I need to know
how to do it. Should I cut the plastic pot away from
its roots or just pull it out? Should I re-pot it when
the leaves are firm from a recent watering or should
they be limp? Are there any good web sites
where I can find directions?
Thanks!
J.W. Arndt
http://www.geocities.com/johnwarndt52/plantaerobics.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: re-potting a peace lily

You can cut the plastic away. But, for me, it's easier to turn it upside down and tap it on the edge of a counter, porch, deck, something that won't squash the leaves, and allows room for it to come out of the pot.

Put some of your potting soil in the bottom of the new pot that will be its new home and tamp it down.

Put the plant in and see that the top is at about 1-2" from the top. You don't won't to put soil above the original soil line. You want it to be at the same level it was in the original pot.

Then fill in soil around the sides, tamping it down as you go. Then water. If the soil on the sides sinks down a bit, add some more around the perimeter. Sometimes I add a little Osmocote (time-release fertilizer) to the soil mix, or you can fertilize it with super bloom afterwards to minimize the shock to the plant of being repotted. You'll probably notice that you won't need to water it as much as when it was root bound in the old pot, although peace lilies can grow in water.

Susan

o

Thanks Susan, he(?) seems to like his new pot.
J.W. Arndt

Here is a link that might be useful: houseplant aerobics

o

OH MY GOSH! How hilarious, but definitely a good simulation of what a spath does. I think you should post this in the gallery. There are a lot of questions about spaths, and it would be a really cool place to direct people who want to know about watering.

Susan

o

Thanks Susan. The file is over 600K, but I'll see if I can post it there.
John

o

Susan, The limit for images is only 60K, so I sized that animation way down to 57k, but when I tried to post it in the gallery, I got an error message that said animations were not allowed :(

Here is a link that might be useful: houseplant aerobics, again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here