Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clibanarius

What's the scoop on Phil. verrucosum?

clibanarius
15 years ago

Is it a greenhouse-only species (asks the person sadly lacking said greenhouse)? More generally, does it have any unusual or exceptionally demanding culture requirements or sensitivities?

Cheers, and thanks!

Alan

Comments (10)

• aroideana
    15 years ago

I have trouble growing this sp. well in wet tropical conditions , so I imagine it would be difficult to grow well out of a glasshouse elsewhere .

• clibanarius
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, aroideana. I think I'll wait a bit on this one. But I do have to tell you that you are responsible for the latest plant I've purchased (online, so hasn't arrived yet), Rhaphidophora cryptantha. You mentioned this plant in another thread, I was curious, so I checked it out, and was amazed by its growth form, and I eventually tracked one down. Any tips for this one?

Cheers,

Alan

• aroideana
    15 years ago

Alan , the cryptantha will grow in very bright light as well as deep shade , it likes a rough/solid surface to get a grip on .. mine is growing on a grapefruit tree in deep shade .. pics on IAS are out in bright light on a very smooth palm trunk .. I think it needs high humidity for best growth .. does not really need roots in the ground .
    I have heard of some being grown on glass ! I have seen it growing on granite boulders as well , but for some reason it [ the foliage ] stayed very small.

• clibanarius
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have a 3" diameter PVC pipe that I was going to use as a totem, wrapped in either shade cloth or perhaps some coir liner.

On the other hand, you're almost describing an epiphyte here, and so I may need to ramp up the humidity here slightly, and the PVC may not do the job...

• chris_e_uk
    15 years ago

I grow Philo. verrucosum in a greenhouse up a moss-pole without any problems here in the UK. I have found it fairly easy to grow and mine was an import from Ecuagenera. I have found Philo. Melanochrysum much harder to grow and would be grateful for any tips.

• aroideana
    15 years ago

Maybe you could seal up the base of the PVC pipe with a cap, then bore some fine holes to weep out and keep the fibre wrapping moist ?

• bihai
    15 years ago

I have all 3 of the plants you have mentioned. My R. cryptantha is still in a container not climbing on anything. I haven't gotten around to it yet but hope to actually get it in somewhere on a totem this week.

My Philo melanochrysum is climbing very well. It is about 3 years old and has been a very slow grower for me compared to other philos I have. It has gone about 4 deet up the totem and its leaves are finally about 8" long.

Philo verrucosum has not been particularly demanding. I got it onto a totem right away when I got it 2 or so years ago as a pretty eentsy plant, now it is at about 8 feet up the totem and the leaves keep getting bigger and bigger. I just added another section onto its totem today as a matter of fact to give it somewhere else to go. Here it was before the new totem was added

{{gwi:390135}}

• bihai
    15 years ago

This is my P. melanochrysum. The funky looking aroid to the left with the long pointed tongue is Epipremnum "Skeleton Key"

{{gwi:390137}}

• aroideana
    15 years ago

When verrucosum matures it does not look anything like it does when young ! I was very surprised to see the white veins gone . That SKeleton Key is not around down here Gina ,, hope it gets imported one day .

• bihai
    15 years ago

I think that it was very very rare for a long time. According to the person who I got it from (if I recall the story correctly), it was only known in one collection, and that person who had it wouldn't let any of it go for a long long time. Then when they finally did, it took a long time before any was made available for sale. I think its still fairly rare. It has to get a lot of size on to really look impressive. Mine is only just starting to get really big and develop the "keys".

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio