Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnsonm08

Titan pics

johnsonm08
10 years ago

A picture is worth a thousand words, but not smells......
Enjoy.
{{gwi:390198}}
{{gwi:390201}}
{{gwi:390203}}

Comments (15)

• lomodor
    10 years ago

much thanks mike !!!
    great flower.. :)
    again.. did the pot seem small for a flowering
    titanum ..to u???

• johnsonm08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I actually asked how big the tuber was--she said it was almost the same diameter as the pot, that would put it about 18" dia in a 20" pot or so. The inflo was about 5ft including the pot, so it wasnt a huge bloom but it did seem like a small pot. Another i saw not too long ago had a leaf about 10ft tall in a 12" pot. I was tied to the support column in the greenhouse to keep it upright--it didnt look like there was much soil in that pot.
    Mike

• lomodor
    10 years ago

great info mike..
    i would love to get one of my titanums to bloom...
    guess most of us that grow them have that dream...
    :)
    i plan to keep my titanums in biggest pots i can deal with..
    lol
    again mike.. much thanks for info..and letting us share in
    your personal experience....

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Your photos are much better than what's on their website. I thought that flowers (inflorescences) could vary in size. That one is a little smaller than others I've seen photos of. But I did see a photo of a (privately) flowering one and the inflorescence only looked to be a metre tall at the most. Maybe if they get old enough and are fed enough but it's a bit too cool for them they flower smaller?

When mine get bigger I intend to get one of those recycled plastic tubs that are 1.2 metres diameter and drill drainage holes in the bottom. For my largest I'm considering doing it following it's next growing season, which should start this December.

• lomodor
    10 years ago

interesting observation tropic..
    i havent run into any fellow enthusiasts/nuts about our
    amorphs.. sigh..
    idea on plastic tub sounds like good idea..
    i found some plastic animal tubs.. finally.. would need holes
    drilled too.. but i think im going to go with big heavy duty
    fabric pots..
    source i found.."magic growing.com" makes them from small all way up to 1000 gallons..
    not sure id ever need a 1000 gallon pot.. LOL
    but im going to get a 300 gallon one this fall..
    biggie titanum on ebay right now..( 50 #) i am so tempted to follow it thru on bidding and get it..
    ??? maybe i will need to ship it off to you tropic and you can get it to be a MONSTER corm..with a MONSTER
    flower...:)

• Lorna1949
    10 years ago

Is this the flower that only bloom once every 50 years?

• lomodor
    10 years ago

not every 50 yrs.. a corm kept well,i understand can
    flower every 4 yrs or so.. after the corm has reached
    "mature" age.. again depending on how well its kept..
    around 5yrs..or 40+ pounds ( 18 kg)

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

I'm pretty sure someone got an eight pounder to bloom...
    It was tiny...

• lomodor
    10 years ago

:) grab.. thats my wish..to get a titanum to bloom..
    will make my yr.. !!! :)
    im thinkin it'll take close to a 40#er to bloom.. especially
    since im growing mine in less than "ideal" growing conditions.. not in a greenhouse..
    at least not yet.. :) LOL
    ??? hows yours doing so far???? pics??? :)

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

Honestly... I'm worried... It's warm now but it's been sooo cold...
    I've finally sprayed it to keep leafhoppers off it, those little bastards have really been a problem for my amorphs, I wasn't prepared for em and didn't have any chems, not to mention being hesitant to use for fear if leaf burn, no signs if any thought and the hoppers are staying away!

I used acephate based pesticide... It's nasty stuff!

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

From over head

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

And the petiole

• lomodor
    10 years ago

great pics grab !!!
    the plant looks fine from the pics..but i cant see the hoppers.. those #$*(&*#$()#&&..
    i plant fennel and dill in the garden at both ends.. the flowers attract wasps..and the wasps sure keep the hoppers away..
    my gardening neighbours all have hoppers..but not many in my gardens..:)
    from pic ..your potting mix sure looks like a nice loose mix.. alot of perlite..and small bark???
    how tall is that one?? girth of the petiole at base??
    here temps have been good at nite..but days..whew.. HOT
    this week its "suppose " to get back up near 100F..again.. and of course..no rain..sigh..
    my lawn has suffered this yr.. i wont run the sprinklers like the neighbours do.. there water bills must be sky high!!!!
    keep givin those hoppers grief grab !!!!!!!

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

We seem to have turned the corner on winter. The first part of August was the coldest on record (for minumum temps) for 71 years. My smallest titanum seedling seemed to stop growing, it's still only opening out. The oldest seedling isn't doing anything, but it was fully open right through winter anyway. The older/largest one is still dormant, all cozy and warm inside its pot.

Heat lows have been forming to our south west. This brings in the warm humid air off the ocean instead of the dry south easters we get during winter. Days have been getting hotter (from about 32C to about 35C/36C now). Night minimums are around the mid teens. Only a few weeks of 'official' winter left.

I'm hoping that in the new location the titanums won't get too heat stressed during the spring. It seems to be effectively shadier than any other place I've had them in. I've also cut out a lot of low branches on some trees allowing more air circulation. For the rest, just have to wait and see.

• coxy
    10 years ago

These pics just blew my mind!

Sponsored