Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dancacti

best soil medium for Amorphophallus

dancacti
13 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm new to Arums. Saw several posts recently on A. titanum and really love the idea of growing one of those beauties one day.

I have recently purchased A. bulbifer and A. 'konjac' from sellers on eBay in Australia.

What is the best soil medium to use? I will grow both in pots.

Also, we are 2/3 into winter here. When is the best time to plant the tubers? Should I wait until spring when the frosts are over?

Thanks!

Dan

Comments (7)

• exoticrainforest
    13 years ago

The best mixture depends on the species and there are well over 100 species. These plants originate in SE Asia, through India into Africa and the islands in that region of the world.

If you can acquire a copy of the International Aroid Society journal Aroideana volume 19 from 1996 the issue is filled with information on this genus. You should be able to order it from the IAS at www.Aroid.org

In some cases, articles can be downloaded directly from the site in PDF format.

In the case of specific species search the data base at the lower left corner of the page for information. It will lead you to discussions held over the past 15 years or so of many species. Dr. Wilbert Hetterscheid is the world authority in the genus and is a regular contributor to the site as well as the Aroid l forum.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: The International Aroid Society

• exoticrainforest
    13 years ago

This is one of the soil mixes recommended by the Bonn Botanical Garden for Amorphophallus titanum. They have grown some enormous plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil mix and suggestions for A titanum

• bluebonsai101
    13 years ago

You are in zone 10...my advice, do not make your life so complicated......put them in the ground and be done with them!! If you get a titanum then a pot is called for, but for these really common, easy to grow weeds the ground is perfect. Mine are in the ground and I'm in zone 6. Am. konjac can stay there all year, others I dig for the winter :o) Dan

• dancacti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ok thanks, for your advice. I will plant konjac in the ground then.

I still plan to plant bulbiform in a pot as it will save me the trouble of having to dig it up over winter. I will put it in a soil mixture similar to cacti/succulent mix which essentially is well-draining organic mix. Hopefully this will suffice.

• bluebonsai101
    13 years ago

I apologize if my post was less than clear....If you are in zone 10 (like Miami) then you can easily plant bulbifer in the ground and forget it as well. In zone 10 there are very, very few I would not put in the ground. Best of luck :o) Dan

• Bombardier
    9 years ago

Hi guys,

Need any advice you can offer on relocation of my amorps.

We're going to relocate in a couple of months time from NSW to QLD (Australia) and my plants are most likely to be halfway sprouting around that time.
    This poses a question. If I cut the sprouts/stems off will they bounce back?

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

The tuber that produces the leaf is all used up by the leaf. That leaf in turn produces the next tuber. Depending on what stage the sprout is at, you could set it back a lot or actually kill it. How many plants are you talking about, and which species?

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner