Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best soil medium for Amorphophallus

Posted by dancacti Melbourne, Aust zn10 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 1, 10 at 10:34

Hi everyone, I'm new to Arums. Saw several posts recently on A. titanum and really love the idea of growing one of those beauties one day.

I have recently purchased A. bulbifer and A. 'konjac' from sellers on eBay in Australia.

What is the best soil medium to use? I will grow both in pots.

Also, we are 2/3 into winter here. When is the best time to plant the tubers? Should I wait until spring when the frosts are over?

Thanks!
Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best soil medium for Amorphophallus

The best mixture depends on the species and there are well over 100 species. These plants originate in SE Asia, through India into Africa and the islands in that region of the world.

If you can acquire a copy of the International Aroid Society journal Aroideana volume 19 from 1996 the issue is filled with information on this genus. You should be able to order it from the IAS at www.Aroid.org

In some cases, articles can be downloaded directly from the site in PDF format.

In the case of specific species search the data base at the lower left corner of the page for information. It will lead you to discussions held over the past 15 years or so of many species. Dr. Wilbert Hetterscheid is the world authority in the genus and is a regular contributor to the site as well as the Aroid l forum.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: The International Aroid Society

o
best soil medium for Amorphophallus titanum

This is one of the soil mixes recommended by the Bonn Botanical Garden for Amorphophallus titanum. They have grown some enormous plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil mix and suggestions for A titanum

o

You are in zone 10...my advice, do not make your life so complicated......put them in the ground and be done with them!! If you get a titanum then a pot is called for, but for these really common, easy to grow weeds the ground is perfect. Mine are in the ground and I'm in zone 6. Am. konjac can stay there all year, others I dig for the winter :o) Dan

o

• Posted by dancacti Melbourne, Aust zn10 (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 1, 10 at 20:50

ok thanks, for your advice. I will plant konjac in the ground then.

I still plan to plant bulbiform in a pot as it will save me the trouble of having to dig it up over winter. I will put it in a soil mixture similar to cacti/succulent mix which essentially is well-draining organic mix. Hopefully this will suffice.

o

I apologize if my post was less than clear....If you are in zone 10 (like Miami) then you can easily plant bulbifer in the ground and forget it as well. In zone 10 there are very, very few I would not put in the ground. Best of luck :o) Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here