Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusfreak

Colocasia multiflora 'Midnight' vs Black Magic

cactusfreak
18 years ago

Is there really a difference in these two plants?

My friend just ordered the Midnight and I can't find any information about it other than pictures on Dave's Garden dated 2002. I have never heard of it but it's been around a few years.

Since it's not availible any where I figure it must not be a good grower.

She got her's at Agristarts. It is in their catalog but not listed on the web site.

Comments (14)

• User
    18 years ago

Well, I was wondering the same thing about Black Magic and Black Runner- what's the difference? Anybody know....

Lynn

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Black Magic is a clumper, while Black Runner is as the name suggests, a runner (sending out underground runners). Colocasia multiflora 'Midnight' is actually a deep purple leaf, purple stems. I found info on it at www.raretrees.org.

Susan

• keiko2
    18 years ago

I have found Midnight to have a much richer color than Black Majic and like Black Marble, the other one usually listed as C. multiflora , it throws up a few lime green leaves that add to the interest. Bad news, it is not nearly as vigorous here in Dallas as Black Majic.

Keiko

• cactusfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, with all the name changes just to increase sales I thought they might have just re-named Black Magic. This was done once before when Black Magic was being called Jet Black Wonder.
    Also a well known nursery was selling Black Runner as Black Magic last year. There is a difference. Now to add to the confusion Black Runner is being marketed as Black Ruffles. Anyway I'll know in a few days as my friend has agreed to give me a Midnight for my comparison testing purposes.

• cactusfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

susanlynne, the web address www.raretrees.org does not work. Also tried .com.

• cactusfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I found the site. It's for memebers only. Found it by search but can not get there with web address.
    They have it listed as an esculenta instead of multiflora.

• User
    18 years ago

Ok, so, if my "black magic" is sending out runners, it's not "magic" but actually "black runner"?

Lynn

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I think we would have to dig even deeper. But, essentially, it appears that Black Magic, as a clumper, throws off pups, and probably gets larger by that means. Black Runner just romps thru the ground via underground stems or rhizomes, like 'Ruffles', which is a runner, too, I believe.

Susan

• User
    18 years ago

Hmmmm, well mine is in the pond and it sends out runners just like the common green EE does, at the surface. For now, I'll just stick to calling it "magic", I plan to put it in a pot out of the pond soon, maybe I'll have more to go on then.

Thanks!
    Lynn

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I purchased one this earlier in the summer, supposedly Black Magic, but the leaves are many, and smaller. Does anyone have a clue what it might be. Also, it has more green in it than the Black Magics I have seen. I'll try to get a photo and post it.

Susan

• cactusfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Could be Colocasia Illustris or affinis jeningsii

Here is a link that might be useful: Illustris

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

No, it's not Illustris. I have that, too. It could be a 'Black Magic' that has reverted to green because I have it in shade. Light is a factor in leaf colorations many times. I moved it to a brighter location today and will let you know.

After reading a bit more about Black Runner, it is supposed to be a better cultivar (it's newer) than Black Magic. It spreads by underground STOLONS, whereas Black Magic is a clumper. Which means that Black Runner could end up in places you might not want it. So it would need plenty of room to romp.

Susan

• etropicals
    18 years ago

Susan,
    Black magic or runner for that matter are definetly dependent on the sun to get their color. They need to be in a bright sunny spot to maintain their dark black color. Otherwise the new leaves will start to come out looking green.
    Eric

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

It's been in a brighter location for 3 days now, and the black is already starting to show up. Why are the leaves so small. The plant is very full, lots of stems about 2 - 2.5' tall, but none are getting any larger, and I've been fertilizing it as suggested. Guess I need to get it in the ground.

Susan

Sponsored