Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patusho25

dracontium and amorphophallus

patusho25
16 years ago

My potted dracontium amozense has lots of roots coming from the bottom of the pot, should this one be repotted to a bigger pot or it should stay just in there. The plant is in a 6" adobe (dirt) pot and the plant is about 3ft tall. thanks in advance.

Comments (14)

• bluebonsai101
    16 years ago

I personally would not re-pot until it goes dormant unless you absolutely need to. I had a 5 foot tall D. pracei in a 6 inch plastic pot that is 4 inches deep and I finally had to repot because it kept wanting to fall over.....other than that I would not bother it to be honest. Sounds like a beauty :o) Dan

• patusho25
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Dan, I don´t know much about these guys. Since it still there´s more than 3 months till temps get colder in here (but then I don´t know when these start go dromant), perhaps it can be transplanted? I guess it will break the dirt pot... got all the doubts of the first time! >=(

cheers.

• aroideana
    16 years ago

Easiest thing to do would be put the pot into another larger pot and add some media , this would not disturb it to much . One thing with Drac's is they work themselves down to the bottom of the pot if not repotted every few years .

• patusho25
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wanted to hear, "yeah sure, repot it, no biggy disturbing them a little", LOL... but then Dan says he repotted his and everything went smooth, so, what can go wrong repoting it?! are they that finicky?? will post a picture later.

• patusho25
    Original Author
    16 years ago

perhaps if done carefully it won´t be disturbed that much.

here it´s.. it stopped growing (rainy season in here) maybe because there´s no more room for new roots down there and it cries for a repotting or should it be repotted so it continues growing for the entire growing season (2-3 months, maybe)...

{{gwi:390252}}

detail...
    {{gwi:390253}}

• bluebonsai101
    16 years ago

I find you can repot anything if you are very careful to only disturb the roots a little to get them untangled and ready to grow into the new soil, but I obviously try to avoid it. On something like a Drac. you can also perhaps wait until you have a new petiole break through the old petiole and then do it. If the old petiole fades you are fine because you have the new one that is already coming up that will keep growing. Nice pics by the way.....I just love the rough petioles and the way the new leaf unfurls much like a fiddle head on a fern :o) Dan

• patusho25
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks Dan, another leaf?? I thought that was it for this year, hope it pushes soon before the rainy season ends.

• bluebonsai101
    16 years ago

You may not get another one.....I guess it is a species thing. I try to keep mine evergreen if they are up for it since in my climate they can be very stubborn about breaking dormancy once they enter it (like some Amorphs for me). I have never tried to grow D. amazonense, although I do have a couple of ones from Brasil that I do not know what species they are.....they throw a lot of petioles when small like mine though!! Most species do not do that well for me here in zone 6 (Pennsylvania), but I have found a couple over the last few years that have done nicely for me and I love them :o) Dan

• aroideana
    16 years ago

I have had 4 stems on a large Dracontium prancei.

• patusho25
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, I ended up doing aroideana idea, was the easiest and harmless one, just put some other heavy pots around it so it won´t tip over.

and forgot something very important!! does this guy need to be stored out of the soil when going dormant or they just should be dug out when repotting only?

Do you know how tall this dracontium grows? 2-3 years before any flower?? hope it´s not that hard to take it out of dormancy after this winter.

thank you both guys.

• bluebonsai101
    16 years ago

Well, Aroideana is the expert, but I do know, that as the name implies, D. amazonense is from the Amazonian portion of Peru, Brasil and Venezuela so how much of a "true dormancy' this has I do not know. It would likely be close to evergreen in habitat I would think based on distribution, but Aroideana would know better.

Perhaps someday I will have 4 stems on my D. prancei, but that is likely wishful thinking :o) Dan

• aroideana
    16 years ago

WE have had a very cold winter and most Dracs went dormant . Even my little amazonense , I see a spike forming in the pot now , hope it grows a lot this year . I did read somewhere that it was nearly evergreen , but that would only be in true equatorial climate , and I am far from that . Leave the Drac's in pots , they keep the roots on the tubers and this helps them resprout faster I think . Been pollinating the 2 nivosum flowers , fingers crossed for seeds .

• patusho25
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I see, then mine one should go dormant during December-January (perhaps earlier) when its colder in here. Hope it still a good idea putting another pot under the actual one so it keeps growing without repotting since it keeps its roots and they might strangle themselves when going through the pot hole??!!! hope it all works out.

What was left of Dean in the Pacifc Ocean almost did the amazoense, fortunetely it didn´t tip over.

Thank you again!!. Cheers.

• araceaelover
    16 years ago

I am realtively new to Amorph's here near Philadelphia Pa.

Our dry hot spell broke this week with 4 straight days of rain, and temps that fell from the high 90's to the low to mid 60's during the day.

I had all of my plants potted in a mix outdoors that can easily handle hot dry weather with just one watering every day or so.

3 days of rain forced me to repot everything I have: Philo.'s, Amorph.'s, ...

I caught everything in time before any major rotting of roots and tubers took place.

I was able to not only inspect literally all of my plants, leaves and roots and tubers. I also had the highly educating pleasure of seeing how each had grown during the growing season.

The roots of some definately needed more space to grow than I had originally thought, some others had hardly grown at all. I was forced to re-pot earlier than I planned but had learned a lot and in the process the minor setback to the plants will translate into my being able to care for them much better in future years.

I learned the hard way earlier this year when I lost an A. Konjac because I had it in the wrong mix during and after a heavy rain. I had bought this plant a few weeks earlier and was able to kill it in record time. lol

My thinking on repotting is that if I have to do it at least I am going to learn someting in the process.

I remember reading someplace that it isn't good for Amorph roots to reach the bottom of the pot and potentially be sitting in ultra wet medium for long periods. If this is true or not I do not know.

Sponsored