Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
espor_gw

A. Konjac - what should I expect

espor
9 years ago

Here is a picture of my A. Konjac that I purchased this spring. It was in a 4 inch pot and had three plants growing. It is August now and there are three new shoots coming up, one next to each of the original plants, and an underground runner that is popping up at the edge of the pot. Any ideas what I will find when I dig it up for the winter? Or maybe I shouldn't dig it up for the winter and keep it growing. I have a small greenhouse that stays above 50 deg F. Since it is starting to send up new shoots should I just move it to the greenhouse when it gets cool at night and see what happens?

Comments (19)

• lomodor
    9 years ago

great lookin konjac espor !! u r doing great..:)
    i would definately move the pot into your greenhouse when nite temps get into mid/low 50sF.. reason..it will prolong the time your corms can put on size..so u will end up with much bigger corms than if ya let frost kill vegetative growth.. leaving outside..
    i gotta get a greenhouse put up.. i usually get double size from year past..but i know many growers get 3X sometimes 4 X size ..because they put pots in greenhouse and the plants get an additional couple months of growth.. eventualy konjac will be done..and then u will want to up pot,clean up.and see how ya did..
    its great fun!!!!!!!
    good luck..and keep us posted...

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

I agree, keep it warmer and let it do its own ting.

• espor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I'll move it to the greenhouse when things start to cool down at night. I'll remove the corms when it dies down and take pictures when everything is cleaned up.

What do you guys think, 3 corms or 6 corms plus one runner??? Is there always just one growing point to each corm, or can it have multiples?

I will definitely keep you guys posted, this is awesome!

By the way I use worm castings and worm tea on my plants and they did very well this year, even with the cooler temperatures.

• espor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well it's been 5 days since my original post and the little shoots are about 8" tall now and starting to leaf out. Five days ago they were probably an inch tall, just breaking out of the soil. Everything looks very healthy and no signs of thinking about dormancy. This is pretty cool, when I bought the plant in the spring the original three shoots were already up so I didn't see them grow. This is a lot of growth in only a few days! One thing I am a little surprised about is that these shoots are probably going to be just as tall as the original three shoots. For some reason I thought they might be bigger.

• espor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The three shoots are now taller than the original three leaves and now each one is sending up ANOTHER shoot! We now have nine shoots in this pot. It has been in the greenhouse for a couple of weeks, getting lots of water and heat. I'll keep you updated and take some more pictures.

• mrguppy3
    9 years ago

Hi there this a pic of my little baby now thee years old and standing at 4 feet with a 5 foot leaf spread.
    I love these plants as they just get bigger quite a talking point.Moved it to the greenhouse now as the autunm in the UK is now getting chilly You should get a nice sized corm or more

• espor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well it's December 1 and time for an update. About the end of October a couple of the leaves started looking tired so I decided it was time to let it go dormant. One by one the leaves withered and when they were laying on the soil all shriveled I would remove them. Yesterday, November 30, the last leaf gave up and withered away. Today I will remove the tuber and take some pictures. Can't wait to see what we ended up with! Check back later for an update. Thanks guys for the support, it was a great summer with my new Konjac.

• espor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I harvested the pot and ended up with 9 tubers total. Three larger and 6 smaller. I am assuming that all 9 shoots came from the 3 large tubers because each set was a little bit bigger than the previous. The original three were when I purchased the plant. The next three came up weeks later, a little taller. And then the last three were taller still. I would think that the small tubers will grow stems next year. One question, I removed the tubers and they are sitting on the plastic lid (5 gal bucket lid) in the greenhouse. Is it ok to leave them in the greenhouse over winter or will that be too moist for them? I will take them off the plastic lid so there is no condensation and air can move around them.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

Nice! Congrats!

• User
    9 years ago

espor,
    I wrap mine in a pillow case and stick it in a closet for the winter.
    Then in the spring, I will plant it in a pot again for the summer.
    I keep it semi warm and dry.
    Congrats on your konjac. I loved looking at your pics!
    I only have one tuber, but it is big.
    I hope this summer it multiplies a bit more, would like to have more of them.

• espor1
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

When Houzz took over my username/password wouldn't work so now my username is espor1.

It's February 22 and so far no growth on the tubers. I left them on a high shelf in the greenhouse. No water, lots of light, they are nice and firm and I'm looking forward to them starting to grow soon.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

No growth on mine yet etiher. From the small ones to the 5 to 6 inchers. But it's a REALLY cold winter here. The room they're in is about 62-65 F.

• Polypompholyx
    9 years ago

My konjac tubers didn't fatten up and grow significantly bigger. I was lucky if I kept them at about the same size. I tried planting them in the ground and later in pots and fertilizing them. Maybe the cool night temps and drier air at my location weren't good for the plant.

• mrguppy3
    9 years ago

Hi There i managed to grow mine very well in a mix of just multi purpose compost and composted pine bark chippings with addition of slow release fertilizer in partial shade and a sheltered spot. not too wet. started them off in my green house then put them out side when they touched the glass in august in UK.

got a tuber weighing 4 kilos so very pleased. will attempt to grow it bigger still this year.

• espor1
    9 years ago

Well, it's the middle of April and no growth yet on any of the nine tubers. There is a green growing tip on each but it has looked the same all through the winter. I have been spritzing with water a couple of times per week. They are on a top shelf in my greenhouse and now that the weather is getting nicer it gets very warm during the day but there is lots of air movement. Should be seeing some growth soon, can't wait!

• stevelau1911
    9 years ago

My Konjac just finished flowering and the flower is wilting away. Does the tuber now go dormant for a while?

The little offsets from it are staying dormant. For the time being I can enjoy my Titanums that are putting out their 2nd leaves and they should all surge over 1ft in height.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

No. Soon it will push up the leaf stalk.

• stevelau1911
    9 years ago

I guess the leaf stalk may be a bit downsized from last year though. One thing I have wondered is if you prevent side shoots from growing, how big can Konjac get?

Once I get Titanums big enough I will also try the opposite in dividing activating corms in half to see if that will make multiple plants.

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

When konjacs get big they have a tendency to split.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals