Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jon1949

Colocasia gigantea

jon1949
18 years ago

Hi, Plant Delights has Colocasia gigantea(Thailand Giant strain)available again.john

Comments (12)

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

Got mine a few weeks ago.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I got one the last time. It's growing nicely. Is it still $25 or $22? I can't remember.

Susan

• planty01976
    18 years ago

Got mine last year. Its about 4ft tall now with several pups. Thankfully the hungry bugs avoid it. It's in the ground (which makes a huge difference) , but i'll plant it in a pot and put it in the greenhouse for the winter, i don't want to have to start from scratch next spring.

• Bonbon_N_KS
    18 years ago

Thanks Jon, for the alert. Susan, they are $22. I bought 2... 1 for a friend, and 1 for self. So, can I just store the bulb in the dry dark basement till next spring?

• planty01976
    18 years ago

Yes, but keep it dry, if it starts to mildew, or rot, clean it, dry it in front of a box fan, and store it in your refrigerator in the crisper drawer. When you trim the bulb, leave some of the petiole material near the base, don't cut it way down to the bulb. Otherwise when you go to plant it you will have 5 little shoots rather than 1 big shoot. (If you have Rootone© Hormone, use it because it has fungicide )

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:390391}}

• planty01976
    18 years ago

Don't spend $22+S&H on the Gigantea, see if raymikematt has some, I hear they grow like weeds at his place.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Are C. Gigantea 'Thai Giant'the same plant as C. gigantea? Or is Thai Giant a cultivar of C. gigantea?

Congrats, Bonbon! Mine is in the ground and growing. It is at least 3' tall and pup is coming up, too. After only a month, I think that is pretty good.

Susan

• raymikematt
    18 years ago

I dont have the Thailand giant strain though. Just the regular old Colocasia gigantea PDN originally offered a few years ago. However, mine have gotten a 10 foot spread before, and they DO grow like weeds. They are VERY hardy too. I left a bulb completely exposed over winter one year (absolute low was 19F) and it came back after i knocked it back into the dirt the following spring.
    Michael M.

• Bonbon_N_KS
    18 years ago

Wow, sounds like a fast grower. Well, I just paid the price. I've been wanting one for 2 planting seasons, everyone was sold out when I'd check. I was watching PD and Tytyga. So I just took the plunge @$22+shpg. (But raymikematt, if you have extra........., I would send postage and if I have cuttings or seeds you may want :) I'll go update my profile. Storming here this a.m.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

BonBon - I signed up for the e-mail notices, which is how I got one earlier. Are you signed up for them?

Raymattmike - what do you mean by an absolute low? Does that mean an average over a certain period of time?

Susan

• raymikematt
    18 years ago

That was the coldest we got that winter. The coldest night of the year.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Well, in Oklahoma we can get down to 0 degrees, but it is not usually a "sustained" temp over several days (watch it do that this winter now). In fact, in the last several years, our ground has not gotten cold enough to freeze anything, and I think ground temps are as important, if not more so, than air temps.

Susan