Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Katrina Vics--Please Check in When You Can!

susanlynne48
18 years ago

Some of our aroid friends are coastal residents, and I know that if they have been evacuated or evacuated themselves, we are likely not to hear from them for awhile, unless they have a laptop they can hook into a modem from far away.

We are concerned about you Asleep_in_the_Garden and others who are from Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, and Florida. If we can do anything to help, let us know.

Meanwhile, you have my thoughts and prayers. I am glued to Fox News constantly. What a horrible experience!

Susan

Comments (6)

• lariann
    18 years ago

We're OK here in south Florida; the rising water came to within one inch of coming inside the house at both the front and back doors; a good portion of my plant collection was under 1 to 3 feet of water. Water-wise, this was much worse than Andrew, which was our last major disaster experience.

The water has largely subsided now, but I'm finding that some plants that were submerged are showing leaf spot and/or dying leaves, even those that had only been submerged for a few hours before I could rescue them. Philos in the ground are losing all leaves that were below the water line. However, the cypress trees, royal palms, and rainbow eucalyptus are in heaven!

I'm wondering about what the IAS show will be like, what with so many plant collections having been through the wringer, as it were, with this storm.

Thank you for your concern and prayers.

LariAnn Garner
    Aroidia Research

• durch
    18 years ago

A-Ok here in Broward County. We didn't get near as much water as Dade County.
    All of the plants are fine. After Andrew we rebuilt the nursery on compacted pads 3' higher than the crown of the road, and all plants in the greenhouses are grown either on 30" tall benches or hanging so it would take nearly 6' of flooding to reach the bottom of the pots.
    Our thoughts and prayers are with all who did not fare as well.
    Chris

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank goodness you weren't in N'Awlins, Chris - you would have had more than 6' of water.

Lari_Ann - so glad to hear you're okay - both you and Chris. I wish the IAS would hold an auction at the show to benefit the victims of Katrina. I have talked to so many people and watched so much news, I'm saturated. We need to do all that we can to help these folks out. If some of these people can afford to spend $1,000 on a plant, surely they can dig a little deeper.

Susan

• beachplant
    18 years ago

Anyone heard from Bigeasyjock? He lives in No. I have some friends we haven't heard from, and saw the street in Slidell where we used to stay with a friend, whole street destroyed.
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny442
    18 years ago

Susan- this is off topic, but I had to respond to your and others who are calling for donations in multiple threads.

We as Americans do dig deep, but sometimes the funds don't get to those in needs. Billions and billions have been donated already. Where is all that money going?? Today there was a large article in the paper about some NO refugees here in the area who haven't seen any of the money, food, or other help that has been donated. They've contacted authorities and businesses, and still can't get any help. It's sad.

I was in Miami shortly after 9-11 for the IAS and donated to firefighters, who stood in the road collecting for the victims. Later it came out that they used the money to go to a softball tournament. Very disillusioning!
    Our church and others in our area sent trucks of food, clothing, and other supplies to Louisiana. They reported there was no one there to take the supplies when they arrived, and the local people had no way of knowing where help and supplies could be obtained. No tv, phone, newspaper, remember?

I'm willing to cut people some slack on donating. If donations go to the Red Cross, fine- they will use it for other emergencies. When my local radio station is asking for cash donations, I draw the line! But then I'm a cynical old crab.

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I agree that there are many problems out there. I usually try to make my donations to reputable sources. PetFinder is one for the animals. Also, PetSmart, and Petco. They are buying the food that the Humane Society is getting to the shelters for the animals, and whatever else they need.

Red Cross is definitely one for both reasons you mention, as well as Salvation Army. Our law firm is going thru another lawfirm in Jackson, Mississippi, and they are making sure that the money gets to a certain foundation that is funding the relief efforts. I KNOW that they checked this out well and good, and that the particular attorney the partners in my firm are acquainted with, have known him for a very long time.

I've given these issues great thought over the years, and the best thing I can say, is GIVE from your heart. No matter where the money goes, you have given something with the greatest intentions man or woman could ever have done. It's like giving a $1.00 to someone on the street. Maybe that guy really does want a cup of coffee, or maybe he is hoping to make enough to buy liquor. Doesn't matter as long as your intentions are above reproach. That you wanted to do a good deed.

Susan

Sponsored