Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
planty01976

Amatuer Taxonomy ! - RE: Check out this scam

planty01976
18 years ago

HE's Baaaaack ! Ok, The thumbnail is Gigantea, the first photo is Blue stem Odora. And its no longer "King Kong", now its "Godzilla". This is amatuer taxonomy at its finest. Give me a break. Are these people serious? King Kong? Godzilla? Makes you wonder what plant is actually being offered, probally common Macrorrhiza.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7709002056&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

Comments (13)

• etropicals
    18 years ago

They also named it Alocasia Gigantea which doesnt exist. I think they meant Colocasia Gigantea. At least these guys arent charging an arm and a leg like the other folks were ($49.99).

• planty01976
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sure but with the photo of Odora, you can't be sure you will recieve C. Gigantea. This is "normally" a reputable seller, hmmm.

• jon1949
    18 years ago

Hi, In this ebayer description he uses the same format as Plant Delights.Sun to Part SunZone: 7b-10 12' tall Origin: China .Check out Plant Delights description of c. gigantea right down to the green design between sun,zone and height.I did not see this style on his other ebay items.He is trying to make it look as if he knows alot about this plant.john

• raymikematt
    18 years ago

That one image of the baby and the A. odora reminds me alot of TyTy nursery. I hear they are cracking down on them big time. TyTy would always have several different species shown when advertising one plant. Truly a scam.
    Michael M.

• planty01976
    Original Author
    18 years ago

He removed the listing, I think he is monitoring this forum.
    (If you can read this: "STOP MAKING UP PLANT NAMES!" it only shows your ignorance)

• jon1949
    18 years ago

Hi planty01976,The auction ended with truffles-the-cat buying two of these plant.john

• jon1949
    18 years ago

Hi, This ebayer has two more godzillas up for auction.#7709310944 and#7709720075.john

• planty01976
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I saw that!!!! What a bafoon! He's going to give the few honest sellers a bad rep. I asked him for documentation on "godzilla", lets see what he says.

• planty01976
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Raymikematt, do you think that guy is TyTy? I want to know so I can avoid him like the plague. Too many horror stories about that place. Plus thier website lacks professionalism.

• raymikematt
    18 years ago

Well im not really sure about that planty, it just reminds me of their website and commercials, (Yes they have TV commercials around here and they are JUST as stupid as their website.) Id avoid that guy regardless.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

It's too bad they don't have some kind of "checks and balances", like providing some kind of ID as a preventative, so you would always know who you are buying from, even if they change their moniker.

Susan

• planty01976
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Anyone naming an elephant ear as "godzilla" or "king king" or "Mothra" or "Spiderman" or something silly like that is usually a red flag for me, Regardless of moniker. It just builds public distrust for all plant sellers and that's not fair to the seller who doesn't make up plant names & are not too lazy to do the research to find out the name of the plant they are selling. If I said it once I've said it a thousand times "ALWAYS ASK FOR A PHOTO OF THE ORIGINAL PLANT FOR SALE". Stock photos are designed to be misleading. They are selling you on the promise of what a plant will be someday. Maybe...

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I totally agree, Planty and usually I am wary of these folks, too. Have you ever gotten a Michigan Bulb catalog, where they advertise plants, like "THREE IN ONE FLOWERING SHRUB", and don't give you the botanical name, so people don't have a clue what they are getting? OR, "DINASAUR TOMATOE"? You get the gist. But, a lot of people are not educated enough to know what they are looking for.

Susan

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions