Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Sauromatum guttatum or Dracunculus vulgaris?

northerner_on
13 years ago

Two years ago I was offered two tubers of what was described as Voodoo Lily. The two tubers were the size of dimes which I planted in 1/2 gallon pots. They grew, beautiful and unusual foliage, were overwintered and again they have produced this beautiful foliage. One has even split and produced an additional shoot. Now that I am ready to pay attention to this plant I identified it as Sauromatum guttatum through a google search (these are hardy to Zone 6a). Now I have found a post on this forum describing Dracunculus vulgaris (hardy to Zone 10/11) but seemingly the same plant. Is this just a matter of re-classification or are these two different plants? I was toying with the idea of planting one of my plants outdoors in a sheltered area with lots of mulch to see if I could get a bloom, but I don't have a definitive ID. There was someone in Zone 5 (US) who reported growing it on this Forum, so I thought I might risk it. So my questions: are these the same plant? If not, how do I know which one I have? Has anyone in a snow belt (below zero for several months and lots of snow) grown it, and how did you get it through the winter? Thank you very much.

Northerner.

Comments (4)

Sponsored