Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asleep_in_the_garden

fully submerged arum

can this be done? I want to keep one under water and I don't know if it's a good idea or not.

Comments (6)

• User
    18 years ago

Well, I would say it depends on the cultivar. Peltandra Virginica (arrow arum) is kept as a pond plant. Zantedeschia aethiopica is commonly kept as a pond plant. The thing with plants that aren't truly aquatics is that they should be well established in their pot before going into the pond, with quite a bit of foliage- you would never want to put a dormant bulb in because it would rot. Also, the deeper you put it, the more likely it will be to rot anyways. It's a really a guessing game. I've seen people put canna 1 ft down and others not be able to keep them lower than water level.

You don't know til you try!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm collecting them from the wild so I guess there's plenty of room to experiment with.

Thank you!

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

On the subject of cannas - if you go to the bog gardening site, some cannas are actually water or bog plants, and some are not. So it depends. However, I think they are all considered marginals.

Susan

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

...And the way I always figured it a marginal is often submerged when there's rainfall enough to cause to surrounding water to rise above the plant,so thusly I've reached the conclusion that all would be well if I planted a few beneath the water's surface.
    Besides I'm hard up for cash at the moment and I know where to get plenty of native arum from the wild.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Just a note of caution - don't get caught. It is not only illegal to collect native plants from the wild, unless they are being rescued due to development, but it is becoming an issue with many plants we are losing in their native environment. Most bulb companies can no longer sell plants collected from the wild. They can collect seed, grow the plant, tissue culture to produce more, and then sell them, but most native plants are protected. I would err on the side of caution.

Susan

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the warning Susan. I kinda doubt that anyone is going to miss the few handfulls I intend to wrench from their happy homes,but I'm sure you are correct when it comes to government institutions having yet one more way to take your money away from you. I've seen a trend in "Law and Order" as more of a business than a defence for the people. If there's no money to be made they'll be slow to get there. But if some poor schlep is seen picking a daisy in the median you can bet every squadcar in town will show up to issue fines to the offender.

But enough of my rant.

On with the show!

Sponsored