Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_e_uk

Ecuagenera plants

chris_e_uk
15 years ago

I have imported several plants, mainly Anthuriums from Ecuagenera over the last couple of years and have found that they require very high temps to grow, requiring a min night-time low of around 24-25c and even a small drop in a min temp of down to 20/21c is insufficent resulting in no growth at all. Has anyone else who has bought from them found this.

Any advice helpful.

Chris UK.

Comments (7)

• bihai
    15 years ago

I too have several plants that came from Ecuagenera, and no, I have not had the same experience.

All of my plants that live in the greenhouse (including the Ecuarenera plants, as well as several somewhat rare palms, orchids, my entire collection of plants!) have temps around 74-75F in summer.

In winter when the greenhouse gets closed up and the heater turned on, the average temps are between 54-65 at night. I'd turn it down even lower to save $$ but some of the palms would definitely NOT be happy.

Of course growth slows normally in winter for all the plants, with the decreased daylength, lower temps and me not fertilizing.

But nothing ever stops.

• bihai
    15 years ago

Its been many many years since I was in the UK, so please don't kill me if I am wrong or being presumptious....

I know you grow in the greenhouse. Maybe LIGHT is your problem, not temperature. Perhaps you see temperature BECOME a problem when there's inadequate light?

How many hours on average do your greenhouse plants get really GOOD, BRIGHT light? I remember the whole of the UK (England, Scotland and Wales) being a little dreary and overcast the entire times we were ever there.

Do you have any supplemental light for yout plants?

We get a good 12+ hours of daylight here. The sun is up by 7am and doesn;t set until after 8pm in summer, and the day is not all that much shorter in winter...after we go off DST the sun comes up at about 6am and sets about 12 hours later, the shortest days in the dead of winter are only maybe 11 hour days? Of course the light is a little weaker....

But really, serious question...how's your light?

• balberth
    15 years ago

Another question would be: which plants?

Ecuagenera sells some plants from hot lowland rainforest, but some of their plants are from cool, higher elevation cloud forest. They don't all grow best in the same conditions.

My greenhouse bottoms out at 65F=18C almost every night, and I have many Anthuriums from Ecuagenera growing very well.

Could the plants be responding to day/night temperature variation? How warm does your greenhouse run during the daytime?

--Albert

• chris_e_uk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alot of the days a very overcast and dreary and this summer has been particularly lacking in blue-skys but after speaking to people at Ecuagenera they said that the biggest and best plants grow under shading there sometimes in quite dim conditions so i put shading up in my greenhouse but maybe too much?,

Just for an experiment, I recently put a Anthurium Regale in an indoor plant cabinet which i made myself that I heat to 29/30c all day and drops to 25c at night, about 70% humidity and being in a dark corner of the room (very dark) and it immediately put out a very big leaf that surprized me and so from that I took it that they like high temps and dark conditions to grow, not unreasonable when under those conditions it grew a leaf nearly 2ft long but the Regale in the greenhouse is doing nothing where the temps are slightly lower at 20c at night and brighter light but still shaded?.

• chris_e_uk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I took your advice and increased the lighting levels considerably by removing most of the shading and things have started happening already, most exciting being an Anthurium Marmoratum that hasnt put a single new leaf out in the 3 months I've had it almost immediately started moving.

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to answer my post and helping me overcome what turned out to be a simple problem but at the time was so frustrating.

Many thanks, Chris e........UK

• bihai
    15 years ago

Great Chris!!!!! I like to hear when people's stuff does well.

I think Anthurium regale is just a finicky plant. I have 4 plants of it and all grow at much different rates. The one that I thought would do the best, because I gave it a nice big space all to itself in good light, is actually the slowest! The two I thought would grow slowest, because I put them into the middle of a bunch of other stuff where they are having to fight for space for their roots, are the biggest and fastest growers!

But even the best persorming one doesn;t have a ton of leaves...it has LARGE leaves but not many. I think that they are kinda s-l-o-w.

• chris_e_uk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes kind of slow, definately. Some of my other Anthuriums are extremely slow and some grow one leaf after another, I have a large plant of Anth. Spectable that only puts out 1 or 2 leafs per year but my Anth. Clarinervium and Barriozebalance put out leaves almost on a weekly basis!!!

Odd genus of plants but beautiful and worth the effort.

Chris.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner